General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Motul Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info in this thread. I'm going to change my oil before the next time I start her up. I probably won't do the Motul though. If I'm going to be changing my oil every 3 months, $15/quart oil may be a little over the top.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Oil experts will tell you that its terrible to add that Lucas stuff or any additive for that matter to any oil. It works against the oil and the additives that are in the oil from the manufacturer.

I don't add a full quart of Lucas at every change. Add about 1 pint. NO issues or problems. Yes, some people say don't use it and others say it's OK. I use it If I know my car will go an extended period of time between changes. It will see two oil changes in 2009 with a total of under 800 miles for the whole year .
Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JJD49
I don't add a full quart of Lucas at every change. Add about 1 pint. NO issues or problems. Yes, some people say don't use it and others say it's OK. I use it If I know my car will go an extended period of time between changes. It will see two oil changes in 2009 with a total of under 800 miles for the whole year .
Do your engine internals a favor....stop using oil additives. You are slowly but surely damaging your internals.

If you know you're gonna store it for an extended time...drain all the oil out right before you start it again after the long storage period has passed. It's the same thing, two oil changes a year and 800 miles, you don't have to buy the Lucas anymore, and your oil will not be intruded upon by an additive that only hurts your engine.

Its all the same no matter how you do it...but do it without using the Lucas.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I gotta question. Why do euro cars such as bmw or audi have long oil change intervals like 8k-9k miles between changes?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:05 AM
TECH Addict

Not sure, but I'd speculate it's because those companies recognize that oil technology hasn't remained static for the last 50 years, and the better oils today will easily support that kind of mileage in normal useage.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:49 AM
Banned

i run rotella conventional. its cheap and if it stands up to 30+psi diesels with 18:1 compression for 7500 mile intervals, im sure its good enought for my 20psi turbo ls1, and being that its so cheap i change it every couple track days or every other month.

ive run rotella on my last 3 motors, i dont know if its coincidence or not but i switched to mobil1 10w40 and lost 2 motors to bearing failure the next time out.

some of the guys making 3k hp in top outlaw use it also.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
Do your engine internals a favor....stop using oil additives. You are slowly but surely damaging your internals.

If you know you're gonna store it for an extended time...drain all the oil out right before you start it again after the long storage period has passed. It's the same thing, two oil changes a year and 800 miles, you don't have to buy the Lucas anymore, and your oil will not be intruded upon by an additive that only hurts your engine.

Its all the same no matter how you do it...but do it without using the Lucas.

I didn't add anything at my last oil change which was in June 09. Put less then 500 miles on it since that time. Most likely it will get changed again this month or in January depending on the weather. Due to a disability I can't change the oil myself and I don't drive it in bad weather. In general my oil changes get done between Nov-JAN and again around June - July
Old 12-06-2009, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

additives can void warranty if any cars on here are still under protection. personally, I would never use an oil that was 15 a quart unless it gave me like 100 hp (i wish i had money to just throw away like that lol). IMHO thats so dumb to pay that when u can just use syn or conv oil. i have a new engine i just put in and use mobil 1 full syn and it broke in fine and oil is super clean(granted its new). i think that other people have said it well. its a money making thing! unless u have a race engine or bike just use what normal people use. use that money ur saving to get power u can actually brag about!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rather than speculating on what your oil may or may not be doing in the protection department, pick any brand oil you like and then at its end life cycle, 3k miles or 6 months, run an oil analysis on it. A lab will be better equipped to indicate just what kind of wear and tear is going on inside short of taking it apart.

My testing on German Castrol 0w30 told me I could probably hit 5k worth of mileage on my oil back when I was concerned about this stuff. I'm @ 125k miles now and my testing was done around the 50k mark and again at the 90k mark. No 2 engines will behave identically, so test what you have.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

$15/qt oil can get you 20-40k miles on an oil change if you sample it religiously. Your Castrol won't do that no matter what.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SladeX
Rather than speculating on what your oil may or may not be doing in the protection department, pick any brand oil you like and then at its end life cycle, 3k miles or 6 months, run an oil analysis on it. A lab will be better equipped to indicate just what kind of wear and tear is going on inside short of taking it apart.

My testing on German Castrol 0w30 told me I could probably hit 5k worth of mileage on my oil back when I was concerned about this stuff. I'm @ 125k miles now and my testing was done around the 50k mark and again at the 90k mark. No 2 engines will behave identically, so test what you have.

About a year ago I had my oil and oil filter contents tested .It was tested by CMS Labratory. The oil at that time was Royal Purple 5W30 and it was in my car for around 8 months and under 700 miles [ I don't remember the exact mileage ]. Total miles on the car at that time was around 13,500 Test results showed ZERO viscosity break down and near ZERO contamination due to chemical components. It also indicated no signs of mechanical engine wear. Their final report stated that the oil compound should be good for another 4000-6000 miles for a undetermined amount of time.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have use redline oil, amsoil, and royal purple oil in my car. from my personal experience, while i never gotten my oil analyzed after each oil change, i've notices that redline oil has made my valvetrain quieter and the engine runs noticeably smoother compared to the other 2 oils. but like i said before, i've never gotten my oil analyzed
Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Redline, Amsoil, Motul, Mobil 1. In that order for me are top 4

Quick Reply: Motul Oil