General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacing Blinker Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Blinker Light

Well, the Camaro just hit 100k miles and it seems everything electrical is giving me trouble all the sudden, particularly the front right blinker(bulb). Has anyone here had to replace one yet? Do you have to pull anything off? Its a freggin pain to get to and I'm having trouble getting ahold of it to get it unscrewed. . .
Old 12-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Use a 10MM socket...pull down plastic trim ****... and reach up in there! closer towards center of bumper than you would think! Turn 1/4 turn counterclockwise... and pull out old bulb, and plug in new one. Have to do it one handed! Have fun! Just changed mine out. Hardest part is getting new bulb plugged in.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

I did not have to take anything off to get to it. But then again my hands are not that big. For the left side I went under the car and removed the plastic and reached up and unscrewed it.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by texas99Z28
Use a 10MM socket...pull down plastic trim ****... and reach up in there! closer towards center of bumper than you would think! Turn 1/4 turn counterclockwise... and pull out old bulb, and plug in new one. Have to do it one handed! Have fun! Just changed mine out. Hardest part is getting new bulb plugged in.
Yea - there is a "trap door" on the bottom of the bumper that allows you to get to them.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

I just pull the headlight, Remove the 2 10mm brace bolts, un hook the headlight electrical connectors and slide the headlight towards the middle of the car (to the left for the right HL, and to the right for the left HL) out comes the HL. Put some dielectric grease in the bulb socket, clean the bulb with alcohol or brake parts cleaner and don't handle the bulb bare handed the oil from your fingers will shorten the bulbs life.

↓ Actually you don't have to re-aim the lights since you don't move the adjustors, my car is lowerd so it is easyer for me to do it from the top.

Last edited by Anthony Williams; 12-12-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^ the headlight way is much more time cunsuming, and worst of all, you have to realign them when your done. going in from the bottom, through the "trap door" is much easier.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been having a different problem with my front pass. side blinker.. my bulb went out, I replaced it, and about a week later it went out again. replaced it again and it did the same thing. went through 2 bulbs in 2 weeks. Took a look at the connector and you can tell where it's gotten pretty hot because the plastic is slightly melted. I could just replace the connector but.... any opinions on what caused it?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by bill12690
I've been having a different problem with my front pass. side blinker.. my bulb went out, I replaced it, and about a week later it went out again. replaced it again and it did the same thing. went through 2 bulbs in 2 weeks. Took a look at the connector and you can tell where it's gotten pretty hot because the plastic is slightly melted. I could just replace the connector but.... any opinions on what caused it?
Look to make sure your lens isn't cracked. If water gets in, it will cause your bulb to blow every time. Look for pools of water in the bottom of the lens and/or press on the front to see if you get any separation of cracks.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Look to make sure your lens isn't cracked. If water gets in, it will cause your bulb to blow every time. Look for pools of water in the bottom of the lens and/or press on the front to see if you get any separation of cracks.
Already checked that, no cracks or moisture in the housing. The one thing that concerns me is how hot the bulb has gotten, hot enough to deform some of the plug.

On a side note, can the housing be changed without removing the bumper? I tried through the trap door but couldn't quite get it out, it kept snagging on something..