General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water Pump Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Issues?

hey guys, I recently noticed a few puddles of coolant, and I checked the hoses, HC, and Rad, and all seem fine, I noticed a bit of dried crusty coolant accumulated on my Crank Pulley, so Its leading me to believe its the water pump. how do I check to make sure? I have went ahead and gotten a gasket just in case I have to replace it. Or will it be better to just replace the pump while ill be in the area?

ohh this is for a 2003 Suburban btw TIA
Old 12-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, if the gasket is the problem, just change the gasket. Make sure its not the water pump itself thats leaking.

Only real way to do it is to top off the coolant, then go for a drive and get the engine temps all the way up to normal operating temps. Then drive it home, leave it running and from underneath look around to see if you can see the leak. See if its leaking from the bottom part of the water pumps snout out of a weep hole (if it has one on that type in that area).

Also,.....if you don't see anything leaking, turn the engine off and do the same thing. But stick around for about 5-10 minutes looking for the leak. Pressure rises after you turn the engine off for a little while because it gets hotter. Sometimes real small leaks and even water pumps will only leak after you walk away and it starts to cool down.

Or a you can have a mechanic pressurize the cooling system to find the leak.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you