General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

93 V6 Overheating and horrible gas milage.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 93 V6 Overheating and horrible gas milage.

Ok I need help here cause I am trying to diagnose this problem over the phone to help my mom.

Car is 93 camaro V6 with 170k on it. About six months ago it was spitting and sputtering really bad, the mechanic she took it to pretty much hosed her and said it was the cat, he replaced it along with the radiator, which she did not ask to get replaced. not long after that she left it running in the drivway it overheated and blew a hose.

SHE WAS TOLD THAT THE THERMOSTATE WAS BUILT INTO THE NEW RADIATOR BY THE MECHANIC. I have never heard such a thing, so I dont think the thermostate ever got replaced.

OK on to the problems. The car spiked up to hot and the check gauges light came on, my mom pulled over and after it cooled she checked the fluids and the radiator was empty, but according to her the motor was cool and was not even hot to the touch.

I think the issue may be the thermostate is bad, or after the radiator was replaced there was a air pocket left and was not getting adaquet water, could account for the fluid dissapearing if the air bubble eventually got flushed out.

I recommended jacking the front end up, running the car till it warms up and checking the fluid levels, and also replacing the thermostate, I just want to know if I am on the right track here.

Issue number two, THE CAR SUCKS ON GAS MILAGE, and it seems it constantly has to have new plugs and wires, 2 times in the past two years that I can recall. It also still has HICCUPS while cruising at around 55, it was really bad befor she took it in and they told her it was the cats, but its still there just not as bad. The gas milage is also not any where near what it should be.

What are your opinions on what could improve the gas milage.

I think the 02 sensor is bad and could account for the hiccups, it could also be the MAF i
Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im having a similar problems with bad gas mileage. im getting about 12 mpg and i have a ses light going on and off. First i had bad egr codes, replaced egr valve and all the codes went away except for one. it says im running lean on right bank 1. pulled the o2 sensors and the one on the passenger side was completely black and the drivers side was completely clean. put them back on on opposite sides and got the same code. so im confused myself.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont think the SES light comes on, I do know the abs light as ALWAYS been on since about 95. This car has been in the family since brand new, It belongs to my Aunt who was very dear to my mom and was like a second mother to me, she passed away tragicly a few years ago in a motercycle accident. This car will be fixed, even if I have to spend my own money to do it, I plan on a complete restoration of it eventually and a BUILT V6 with a possible turbo or supercharger because that is how my Aunt wanted to build it, I could never talk her into a V8

I did not thing of EGR valve,