General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

heater hoses

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater hoses

here is my question, when changing rad fluids and hoses. do you cut and and clamp new heater hoses on or do you have to replace the hoses with factory pieces. the reason i ask this is, those hoses are molded and attached to metal lines then go to the core. ive changed fluids, just never any of the hoses and it is time. thanks for the reply's.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My heater hoses that come out of my water pump and run bqack to the firewall to the heater core are my original hoses from 1998. About 6 months ago I noticed that both hoses where they clamp to the water pump ports were starting to bulg a little bit right near the clamp.

I pulled the clamps off, took a razor knife and cut about 1.5 inches of the hose ends off, clamped them back onto the water pump ports. There good asd new now. I just cut away the ends that were bulging.

Those hoses should last a very very long time. Mine will be 12 years old April. Almost 200,000 miles on them.

Unless yours sprung a leak somewhere else, they're probably perfectly fine still.

..just for safety. I have a 6 inch piece of heater hose with me all the time. If my heater hoses ever burst while I'm out driving or far from anything, I will just take the clamps off and pop both hoses off, put that 6 inch peice on, pour some water in the radiator, and I'm on my way again. So I don't get stranded somewhere.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
My heater hoses that come out of my water pump and run bqack to the firewall to the heater core are my original hoses from 1998. About 6 months ago I noticed that both hoses where they clamp to the water pump ports were starting to bulg a little bit right near the clamp.

I pulled the clamps off, took a razor knife and cut about 1.5 inches of the hose ends off, clamped them back onto the water pump ports. There good asd new now. I just cut away the ends that were bulging.

Those hoses should last a very very long time. Mine will be 12 years old April. Almost 200,000 miles on them.

Unless yours sprung a leak somewhere else, they're probably perfectly fine still.

..just for safety. I have a 6 inch piece of heater hose with me all the time. If my heater hoses ever burst while I'm out driving or far from anything, I will just take the clamps off and pop both hoses off, put that 6 inch peice on, pour some water in the radiator, and I'm on my way again. So I don't get stranded somewhere.

thanks for the reply, i have no leaks or bulges in any of the hoses. i usually have a small tool kit in my car at all times, just in case something happens. but the problem is since my accident and back surgery its a little hard to get under the car, i like to try and avoid those side of the road fixes. i have done way to many in my life, they really suck when your out in nowhere's land 20 below and snow. yes it happened to me.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jam01
thanks for the reply, i have no leaks or bulges in any of the hoses. i usually have a small tool kit in my car at all times, just in case something happens. but the problem is since my accident and back surgery its a little hard to get under the car, i like to try and avoid those side of the road fixes. i have done way to many in my life, they really suck when your out in nowhere's land 20 below and snow. yes it happened to me.
Yea, I carry a new serpentine belt, that 6 inch piece of hose, jumper cables and a couple rubber caps to cap off a radiator port, and a gallon of gas that has saved my but 3 times so far.

I too hate road side fixes, but I'd rather have them with me in case. I've lost a serpentine belt before too and didn't have an extra one.

But yes, those heater hoses usually last forever. You'll see those ends bulging when they start. They also get soft at the ends.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

here is my question, when changing rad fluids and hoses. do you cut and and clamp new heater hoses on or do you have to replace the hoses with factory pieces. the reason i ask this is, those hoses are molded and attached to metal lines then go to the core. ive changed fluids, just never any of the hoses and it is time. thanks for the reply's.
The heater core lines are a 1 piece design from GM, you replace the whole thing. It would be better to run two seperate high quality hoses in the same area instead of the metal/rubber crimped style.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
The heater core lines are a 1 piece design from GM, you replace the whole thing. It would be better to run two seperate high quality hoses in the same area instead of the metal/rubber crimped style.
Do you know what size to buy if I wanted to do that? What kind of hose to use?

My engine is coming out soon and I may as well get rid of my 12 year old factory heater lines as it'll be soooo much easier of a job.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
Do you know what size to buy if I wanted to do that? What kind of hose to use?

My engine is coming out soon and I may as well get rid of my 12 year old factory heater lines as it'll be soooo much easier of a job.

Goodyear or a very high quality heater hose from autozone or etc would be ideal. Size would be the same as stock rubber ends of the two peice(which I dont know lol) I have seen plenty of those two peice style blow and the old mushy full rubber ones keep lasting. Which reminds me I need to do the same here soon
Old 12-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Goodyear or a very high quality heater hose from autozone or etc would be ideal. Size would be the same as stock rubber ends of the two peice(which I dont know lol) I have seen plenty of those two peice style blow and the old mushy full rubber ones keep lasting. Which reminds me I need to do the same here soon
Cool, I'll look into it.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thank you all for the reply's. i was really hoping i could run 2 short pieces of hose from the metal lines. it looks like a pain in the a-s, but i am sure no worse than my old 77 vette.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

thank you all for the reply's. i was really hoping i could run 2 short pieces of hose from the metal lines. it looks like a pain in the a-s, but i am sure no worse than my old 77 vette.
Honestly its really simple to just run two complete lines. There is a single bracket with a bolt i do believe that holds the whole setup in place.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned

If they are the same metal ends as the metal A/C lines, you can do what I did. Dremel the outside piece of the metal end off, then you will have the inside metal piece remaining. Cut lengthwise channels all the way around it, then peel each piece back like a banana. Then you can slide a hose onto that inside piece of metal end and clamp it down. Use those types of clamps though, they are flat all the way around on the inside so it clamps down evenly all the way around the hose.

If my A/C line has been holding for almost 6 months now, a cooling system at 18-20 psi will certainly hold.

I refused to replace that A/C line, this works perfectly.

Attached Thumbnails heater hoses-dsc01816.jpg   heater hoses-dsc01818.jpg   heater hoses-dsc01842.jpg   heater hoses-dsc01844.jpg  
Old 12-26-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool i like that idea, i was thinking of the same idea. i wasnt sure if it would work though. i have plenty of heater hose lying around from old projects, i hope it is still good.