General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vibration after hard acceleration...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration after hard acceleration...

Anyone know what may be causing this? After a hard acceleration for example a quick punch and let off thing. I get this very noticable vibration under the car and dash i can feel it on the steering wheel basically the whole car. I can feel it throught the gas pedal when in drive when its happening. If i do it and then park it i can still feel it and hear a grumblying noise so I would assume its not the tranny or drivetrain? When driving the car normally u wouldnt know it was there. It usually wears off after like 30 sec's. Could it the motor mounts? Any advice or help would be appreciated. Im not yet too knowledgeable about certain things so I dont wanna go to a shop and get ripped off. Recently i went to my mechanic regarding this and told him I suspected it was my rear u joint on the driveshaft that was causing this. He checked it out and said my u joint was out the door and replaced it but it didnt fix the vibration. My tranny mounts are no more than 5,000 miles old and there rubber. car has 190,000 miles and dont know if previouse owners ever changed the motor mounts. Engine idles smooth.

Last edited by PwrHngryLT1; 12-21-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

ttt...
Old 12-24-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your mechanic may be a crook.

Sounds like its your tranny mount. Yes, the rubber tranny mounts break even when new. I replaced 2 new rubber tranny mounts before i said, "enough" and went with a poly-urethane tranny mount.

The poly tranny mounts are affordable and you can install them yourself. for help on install go to installuniversity.com and for a poly tranny mount go to the sites on the right side of your screen.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Rockstar

+1 Sounds like a tranny mount. I've broken new ones in about 3 weeks. It's just one of those things man, keep your eye on it and when it breaks it's an easy fix.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys on the advice will look into the tranny mounts, just didnt think it would the the tranny mounts since last time they had gone bad the symptoms were much different. More like a hard loud bang under the shifter area when that happened to me. Yeah I suspected my mechanic had just lied to me because as soon as I left the shop I smashed out of there and I could feel the vibration afterwards. Hey 98boxer remember me I sold you the som rear tail panel for your berger panel mod. You still have your car?
Old 12-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Restricted User

tranny mounts?
motor mounts?
U joints?
driveshaft weights cam off?
wheels out of balance (weight came off)?
mud snow in wheels?
Pinion angle right?
Old 12-25-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did he balance the driveshaft after he did the u joint?

Quick Reply: Vibration after hard acceleration...