General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

burning oil some where???

Old 12-22-2009, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning oil some where???

Wife's car, 98 Z28, 29K miles. Had car 2 years, had 9k miles when I bought it. Going threw 1.5 plus quarts oil every 3k miles. No smoke coming out of tail pipe. Exhaust tips are bone dry. Put on a catch can but only get a couple teaspoons every oil change. No leaks any where on car. Under side of car is bone dry also. Where is the oil going????
I have been thinking the rings never seated properly with the low millage the first 9 years. But if that where the problem why doesn't the car smoke a little. I am pulling the plugs this week to see if I am burning oil?
After this I am out of ideas. Any body have any other ideas??
Old 12-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Teching In

No one has any ideas???
Old 12-22-2009, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does it look like INSIDE the intake? How are you measuring how much oil is burned/lost?

There aren't any leaks at all? You're lucky...
Old 12-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Banned

My did the same thing...number 7 cylinder was the culprit. try pulling all the spark plugs and look at them carefully, youll find which cylinder it is quick. You won't see oil out the exhaust unless its a crazy amount if oil, the cats burn it all up. By the time you see oil smke usualy the motor is just about cooked. Good Luck.

By the way we drove it over 100k miles like that and it held together.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 BADBIRD
Wife's car, 98 Z28, 29K miles. Had car 2 years, had 9k miles when I bought it. Going threw 1.5 plus quarts oil every 3k miles. No smoke coming out of tail pipe. Exhaust tips are bone dry. Put on a catch can but only get a couple teaspoons every oil change. No leaks any where on car. Under side of car is bone dry also. Where is the oil going????
I have been thinking the rings never seated properly with the low millage the first 9 years. But if that where the problem why doesn't the car smoke a little. I am pulling the plugs this week to see if I am burning oil?
After this I am out of ideas. Any body have any other ideas??
Rings seat in 10 miles. But it could be a broken piece of a ring.

Could also be a bad valve seal(s).

Leakdown and compression check will tell you whats up.

Go out and cruise steady at 60mph, then nail it to the floor and hold it there. See if you make a trail of bluish-white smoke. If you do, your valve seal(s) are bad. The trail will then clear up by itself as you STAY on the pedal.

If its a broken ring the smoke trail will be the same color, but it will not stop, it'll keep coming out. You may also be able to feel/see puffs of smoke coming out of the oil fil neck while its idling or while you rev it, that would be a broken/worn ring issue.

Also, you could still be getting oil into the intake right by the catch can slowly between oil changes, they don't work perfectly. Check to see if there's oil inside the intake coating the inside. You may just need a new PCV valve that is sticking open and not closing when you hit the pedal hard.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Well pulled the plugs today. They look great. Just a little tiny bit of oil on 2 holes. Intake looks better than mine with 47k miles and I rev mine to the moon. The motor must be letting a little bit of oil get by the rings. Every thing else looks great. I guess we will just live with it. Or if I do a 6.0 transplant I can put my motor which does not burn a drop oil in her car.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:57 AM
...with cheese.

It's hard to tell if these new cars are burning oil. By the time it goes through all the emissions equipment it'll have cleaned most of it up. Especially when the cats get good and hot, they'll burn anything. I'd put a compression gauge in all of the holes and see if they're in spec.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:53 AM
Banned

You said tiny bit of oil two holes....... there you go. Its not a tiny bit when its running LOL.

Search this Thread