General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-10-2016, 03:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

E-Brake "BRAKE" Light Stays On

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default E-Brake "BRAKE" Light Stays On

The e-brake handle is all the way down, from what I can tell by SOTP and by ear the e-brake isn't dragging, the DRLs are on (something that doesn't come on when the e-brake is up even one click), yet the "BRAKE" light on the gauge cluster is still on. I'm wondering if it might be a bad switch or something, because at first it seemed if I reapplied the e-brake, then released it and slammed it down, the light would cut off. Now that doesn't even help. If that's what it most likely is, where is the trigger for e-brake light?
Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

trigger for e-brake light is under the center console with the ebrake handle.
if it were that switch, then your DRL's would not come on.
since the DRL's are on, the brake light is on because of some other condition
and i'm pretty sure that red BRAKE light is not just for the ebrake being activated,
it might mean that the master resevoir is low on fluid,
other than that i would scan the pcm for codes or have to look it up in the service manual.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Check out your owners manual; section 2. GM says that the light (if not related to your e-brake) signifies that there is a problem with the brake system and that the car should not be driven. (They seem to imply that its related to the brake booster and that braking power is diminished.)
Old 01-02-2010, 03:31 PM

Good looking out guys. I figured the e-brake being engaged or the switch being bad would be the only things able to cause a light. I actually bet I'm low on brake fluid. I really need to flush the whole system as it's got 100k miles on the original stuff I'm sure, and I'd like to get some ATE Super Blue in it, and a while back when I first bought it I had a small brake booster leak. I bet the fluid level dropped enough to cut the light on.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking up in the service manual the wiring diagram shows the only 2 things that can set off the red BRAKE light on the dash are the parking brake switch under the center console or the brake fluid level sensor on the master cylinder. Those are the only two things that can be serviced,
other than replacing the entire instrument cluster, PCM, or checking for short to ground somewhere.

the reference to diminished braking power is due to a low fluid level in the master cylinder where it would push air into the system.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 01-02-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 for low brake fluid,check your master cylinder. top off to recommended level if low.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:58 PM

Fluid was low. I'm topped off and the light is off. It was weird that at first when I lowered the e-brake and the light stayed on, I reapplied the brake, then slammed it down, and the light on the dash went off. I just figured a switch somewhere was going bad. It was just a coincidence though obviously. I was way low on fluid.

Quick Reply: E-Brake "BRAKE" Light Stays On