General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

EGT's on my 02 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT's on my 02 Camaro SS

I just did a cam swap (MS3) and I drove the car for roughly 2 hours and all the sudden sitting at a stop light it started loading up, stumbling and running way rich, below 2000 rpm's, (I could push the pedal down almost halfway and it would stumble off the line until it hit 2000 rpm's, then it wants to blow the tires off and blows alot of fuel smoke out the pipes. So I had the car tuned and still have the same problem (obviously not tune related because it was tuned previously also). My EGT's close to the heads are in the low 200* range on the right bank and 70* to 100* range on the drivers side bank at normal operating temperature, (ambient temperature is 30* here right now FWIW), also these temperatures are all at idle (875 or so), what would cause this to happen? I have been chasing this problem for a while now and have no codes to help troubleshoot. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by SSSLP02; 01-06-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Might not be it.....and this DOES NOT always throw a code of an SES light....but if the 02 sensor is "failing" and not switching properly, those are the exact symptoms you will get.

You can go buy one and toss it in that side in 15 minutes to check and see, if thats not it you can return the sensor for a refund.

But thats my guess. Very well could be a frayed/melted wire too, for the sensor on that side. If during the cam swap you disconnected the spark plug wires, make sure none of them are touching any part of the exhaust manifold piping.

And do not stomp on the gas any more if its stumbling or missing...you could literally destroy your engine.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply! As for the o2 sensors I have deleted the rears and only have the front 2, I did have o2 sensor codes for about 6 months prior because I was running AvGas (100LL). So i figured I would try some new ones, drained my tank and re-filled with 91. So I let it run to make sure all AvGas was gone, only running on 91, re set my computer, then I installed the new o2's, and I still have the same problem. Also the car is only driven on the weekends or on nice days (don't know why that is relevant) but I don't ever beat on the car and after it started having these problems haven't opened it up again, (I'm a certified aircraft engine builder/tech and realize the consequences). The car still hasn't even seen more than half throttle after the cam swap, has roughly 50 or so miles since, and they are mostly before the symptoms as I have been afraid to drive it.

Last edited by SSSLP02; 01-06-2010 at 06:38 PM.