General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Heat Shield Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Shield Vibration

Not sure if I'm naming the part correctly but I'm referring to the thin metal piece between the muffler and gas tank on my WS6. My aftermarket 3" exhaust has enough harmonics to it to cause MAJOR vibration noise from this panel (yes it is definitely this piece). Am I asking for trouble by removing it? If so, anyone have any tricks to shut this sucker up? Rubber bushings under the bolts?

Thanks guys.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find out what it's rattling against and bend it accordingly

Also, leave the shield on. Alot of Free flowing exhaust do not get hot enough to damage the tank BUT the increased temps from not having a heat shield cause the gas in the tank to vaporize
Old 01-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nemss1
Find out what it's rattling against and bend it accordingly

Also, leave the shield on. Alot of Free flowing exhaust do not get hot enough to damage the tank BUT the increased temps from not having a heat shield cause the gas in the tank to vaporize
Thanks nemss1. The shield is not physically touching anything- it is vibrating from the resonance of the bigger than stock exhaust system. I guess if I can't remove it, my only options are to isolate or dampen the connection points or replace it with something less noisy.

Am I the only one out there that has experienced this?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

No prob man. Raise the rear and lay under the rear while started. You may find a connection point causing your prob. I had this prob but mine was the shields rattling against the muffler so I had to tweak it a tad to solve the rattling issue
Old 01-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Launching!

it could be your converter sheild. Well anyway, there is two ways to solve it, both are very easy. one is hit the exhaust with your hand to pinpoint the rattle. then either remove the heat sheild, or get a large hose clamp, really large. to go around the sheild. or if the shield is bolted to the frame then just bend it out of the way.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys. Fixed it. Problem was further upstream. An exhaust clamp was really loose which cause everything from there back to vibrate more than normal. Tossed the clamp and had it welded. No more noise from the muffler whacking the heat shield.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

good deal man. glad u got'r figured out and solved

Quick Reply: Heat Shield Vibration