General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Seafoam froze or shorted my fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam froze or shorted my fuel pump

Ok so i put a can of seafoam into an empty tank,filled it up halfway,drove maybe 10 minutes,filled it up full,and within 15 minutes my car died,the fuse to the fuelpump blew,and it wont start,now fuel is coming out of the schrader valve on the fuel rail.what now a new fuel pump.i was thinking of cutting a hole underneath the back seat for easier access to the fuel pump and patch it when its done.or can someone give me their opinion on help on wat 2 do?should i drain the tank so the same thing wont happen again.thanks 98 pontiac trans am ls1
Old 01-08-2010, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

your supposed to put a can in a full tank of gas not put a full can of seafoam into an empty tank.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxrjunkie
Ok so i put a can of seafoam into an empty tank,filled it up halfway,drove maybe 10 minutes,filled it up full,and within 15 minutes my car died,the fuse to the fuelpump blew,and it wont start,now fuel is coming out of the schrader valve on the fuel rail.what now a new fuel pump.i was thinking of cutting a hole underneath the back seat for easier access to the fuel pump and patch it when its done.or can someone give me their opinion on help on wat 2 do?should i drain the tank so the same thing wont happen again.thanks 98 pontiac trans am ls1
Thats wierd. Sea Foam cannot hurt the fuel pump unless you run 100% Sea Foam through it for a long time, like a whole tank of it. And then, it still might not hurt it. Fuel is pretty intense stuff, Sea Foam isn't much different then fuel as far as its intensity.

I'd say you broke some clumps of dirt loose and that clogged the pump/screen, and ran the pump dry maybe. It may just have gotten hot and popped the fuse.
Have you tried putting in a new fuse and seeing if the pump will prime when you turn the key "on"? See if it still works.

I run a full can of Sea Foam through a 1/4-1/2 tank of gas.....every 3-4 months. Been doing it for 10+ years. My fuel pump is fine. So was my stock pump for the two years it got the treatment.

The reason you don't want to use too much Sea Foam is not because it will hurt the pump....its pretty tough on the fuel injector screens...if there's too much Sea Foam in there it could eat those screens away and then they will leak and not be able to atomize the fuel properly.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Teching In

ive visitited the shop where the car is at,they showed me how they hooked a 12v something to the underneath of car to start the fuel pump that way,the same way light a little lightbulb,they say the fuel pump relay is bad,also when the fuel pump fuse in the engine compartment blew,when i put another fuse in it fried a wire,it was a purple wire underneath the car.thing is i took my car to this shop to have a water pump and thermastat put in.and like not even 30 minutes after leaving this shop this fuel pump issue happened.suppose it is the seafoam in the tank,should i drain the tank?cause the seafoam is in there still.thanks

the shop says that he bypassed the fuel pump and tried to start it like that with this thingy he hooks to the battery,is that right?is that the same as installing a new relay and using the key?

Last edited by gsxrjunkie; 01-08-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ive visitited the shop where the car is at,they showed me how they hooked a 12v something to the underneath of car to start the fuel pump that way,the same way light a little lightbulb,they say the fuel pump relay is bad,also when the fuel pump fuse in the engine compartment blew,when i put another fuse in it fried a wire,it was a purple wire underneath the car.thing is i took my car to this shop to have a water pump and thermastat put in.and like not even 30 minutes after leaving this shop this fuel pump issue happened.suppose it is the seafoam in the tank,should i drain the tank?cause the seafoam is in there still.thanks

the shop says that he bypassed the fuel pump and tried to start it like that with this thingy he hooks to the battery,is that right?is that the same as installing a new relay and using the key?
Don't worry about the Sea Foam man...it has absolutely nothing to do with the fuel pump issue. Whatever they did needs to be looked at a fixed properly.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:40 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There is an actual wire in the engine compartment that you can hook up to a 12V source, like a battery, in order to bypass the relay and get the pump to turn on; NOT START THE CAR, but just TURN ON the pump-it's easier than testing a relay. I'm assuming that's what your shop did. Well, what was the verdict? Did it start that way?

Double on the seafoam-some us think Seafoam is neither bad OR good for your car so you can forget about it...

Quick Reply: Seafoam froze or shorted my fuel pump