General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacing Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Catalytic Converter

I have a 93 Z28 with SLP Loudmouth Exhaust. I'm wanting to get rid of the stock CAT and maybe just put a pipe in there any ideas?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not try a ory pipe if you are eliminating the cats? Option two repalce them with some after market ones like magnaflow's cats. THey seem pretty inexpensive I think. I don't have or have ever bought cats so don't really know. You'll also need O2 sims to fool the computer. Good luck
Old 02-05-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a bitch to replace the cats with no cats or aftermarket cats when your still running stock manifolds. get a set of longtubes, and an ORY or catted y pipe and itll probably be less in the long run
Old 02-06-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you are OBDI, you have a single cat (the cause for that damnable hump in all our cars, thank you very much).
Personally, I would go with an ORY, as suggested. I suggest the StainlessWorks CA935CORS. They are not a sponsor, so no link can be posted. I have the similar model for my 97 and fitment was pretty good, quality excellent. You could go cheaper with the aluminized steel model, but why cheap out. But getting to the flange nuts on the exhaust manifolds is quite difficult.

You could also find a mom and pop muffler shop that would just replace the cat with a piece of pipe. Getting to it is quite easy, since it is under the passenger's side floorboard. But I have never seen a direct fit pipe replacement.