General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

gas guage inaccuracy

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default gas guage inaccuracy

Well i have a 1996 Firebird formula, and all was good with it until one day when i put 10 bucks into it to fill it up to 3/4+ of a tank, and i know these gauges tend to not be very accute in the first place but my gauge has been stuck on basically full for the last few days and i put 10 bucks in yesterday and it jsut went a quarter inch further from the full line. i tried slamming on my breaks it didnt go back to normal lol. What do i have to do to check the gauge so it reads accurately??? i know i dont have a full tank lol
Old 02-05-2010, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your sending unit is either jammed, or the contacts are open.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably the sending unit When I first bought my s-10 gas gauge wasn't accurate sometimes stick or bounce around. I started to fill the tank full and run it fairly close to empty before refill regularly and problem cleared up for me. Thinking maybe the float to the sending unit was maybe sticking and working it back and fourth by filling and running close to empty loosened it up. Not guaranteed but seemed to fix mine been working for the last few years.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happened to me on the way back from Ohio last year. I ran some Techron with the additive in it that is supposed to remove sulpher from the sending unit and have had no problem since... I run a bottle at every oil change in both my vehicles.....