General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Problem with the Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with the Oil

So yesterday i was checking my oil and when i check the dipstick, there is a yellow foamy substance and lots of condensation on it. so i try to take off the cap and it gave me a hard time. (prob cuz it was a cheap one from advance, im gonna change it soon). i finally get the cap off and find some yellow, milky-looking sustance (kind of like yellow jelly or mayonnaise) and more condensation.

so i check the pcv valve, looks like it in decent condition (i had just changed it about a year and a half ago). while the car was running, i took the pcv valve off. the line that goes into the intake was sucking in air pretty good, but the line that came out from the passenger side valve covers had nothing coming from it. so while the car was running, i left the oil cap off and had a friend blow into the rubber line coming out from the valve cover. some white smoke came out around the oil filler cap and rubber line. i dont know if that could be the problem.

also, i have been realizing alot of oil leaking from the bottom of the car. looks like its coming from the passenger side valve cover, but im not really sure. i dont know if this has anything to do with this problem, cuz the engine does have around 106k miles. i hear a slight knocking when the car is cold, but goes away when the car gets hot. i figured it was piston slap, but im starting to think it is something else.

from what i have been reading from searching, i think my problem is from a bad head gasket. but i hope to god, its something else. the weather has been unusually cold around here lately, its usually 40 to 50, but has been around 20 to 30. i used pennzoil platinum 5w30 last oil change, and it is getting close to the 3k mark to change again. i dont drive short trips, i usually drive long trips of about 30 miles at a time (from home to school or to work), so i average about 50 to 60 miles a day. i plan on checking the radiator fluid tonight and prob change the oil this weekend. so what do u guys think is the problem?

Last edited by Yahelou; 02-16-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

The yellow snot is nearly always a sign of a bad head gasket. Now, take a look inside the radiator to see if you have the same thing.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably head gasket. If you keep driving it with coolant contaminating the oil you are going to have much bigger issues than just a head gasket. If you need a quick fix, try one of those bottles of nano whatever head gasket repair just to crutch it up until you can get the gasket done.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lubelizard
If you need a quick fix, try one of those bottles of nano whatever head gasket repair just to crutch it up until you can get the gasket done.
I'd only do this if I was selling the car, and didn't give a **** about what I was passing along. That stuff will junk a radiator/heater core faster than you can say squat.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lubelizard
Probably head gasket. If you keep driving it with coolant contaminating the oil you are going to have much bigger issues than just a head gasket. If you need a quick fix, try one of those bottles of nano whatever head gasket repair just to crutch it up until you can get the gasket done.
i was thinking about doing that, but i did it to my sisters car(which didnt matter much to me cuz it already had over 250k miles on it) and it didnt work, and then what fleetmgr said also makes me not want to do it.

the problem is that this car is my daily driver, and i need it to get to school and work. how bad is it if it is only a small leak?i mean, can i drive it till maybe this weekend? and could this also cause my car to leak oil?

thanks for the help guys. i do appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ This!!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, i just checked the radiator and it is full and the fluid looks good. im gonna change the fluid tomo night and see what condition it is in.