General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2000 SS low rpm hesitation.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 SS low rpm hesitation.

As the title says I have a 2000 camaro ss that hesitates at 1500 rpm when I try to accelerate quickly. If I just drive easy it runs perfect but if its at 1500 and I quickly give it extra gas it hesitates for a couple seconds until it gets past 1500 then runs perfect throughout the rest of the rpm range. At first I thought it was my clutch because it has started to slip but only at high rpm under hard acceleration. My car has 134,000 miles on it and basically the engine is all stock. I'm planning on getting the trans rebuilt soon because it's having some issues but while that's going on I am going to also pull the engine out. I'm going to clean some things up, change some seals and gaskets, and just check what ever I can check. Any suggestions while its out? Should I change the oil pump, timing chain, or any internal bearings while I can get to them.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Launching!

sounded like a compression ring at first but then you said it runs good once it gets going. Any lights coming on in the cluster? I would change gaskets and rings. It better to do it now that you can. IMO.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Yeah I forgot to mention that I do have a service engine soon light on, but it was on even before this problem. I got it checked awhile back and it came up as P0103 and P0704. The P0103 has to do with the maf sensor so I changed it out with another used maf that I know was working but the code still came up. The P0704 is something with the clutch switch but I haven't changed it out yet. I'll go have the codes checked again today to make sure there aren't any new codes.
What all would be involved in changing the rings?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kyle9100
Yeah I forgot to mention that I do have a service engine soon light on, but it was on even before this problem. I got it checked awhile back and it came up as P0103 and P0704. The P0103 has to do with the maf sensor so I changed it out with another used maf that I know was working but the code still came up. The P0704 is something with the clutch switch but I haven't changed it out yet. I'll go have the codes checked again today to make sure there aren't any new codes.
DEJAVU...theres a "SENSOR" Fuse in your fuse box under the hood...like 10 or 20 amps I think...look it up in the manual...if thats good, then its probly 02 sensor.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Teching In

I checked the fuse and it's still good. Is there a way to test the o2 sensors? I would hate to spend the money on new ones if that's not the problem.
And thank you very much for the input so far.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:29 AM
Launching!

My service engine soon light came on when my rings went bad. Slowly but surely I started losing more and more power. It took about 8 months for it to take a full effect. I never changed the rings. I just built me another motor. You might as well put a cam and some heads while your at it. IMO. Any new codes.? When was the last tune up?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Teching In

No new codes. I had the codes cleared earlier today and they haven't come back yet. I believe I fixed the P0704 code. As far as a tune up I have replaced the spark plugs about a year ago with bosch platinum +4s. At the same time I pulled the heads to replace the push rods. Two of them were bent. I had the heads surfaced, cleaned, and valve job done. Of course I replaced all the upper end seals and gaskets while I was there. The air filter is due for a cleaning soon. When the hesitation began I cleaned the maf sensor because I thought maybe some of the oil from the filter was causing a false reading but it didn't solve the problem. Fuel filter was change within the last year, and I did an engine flush a couple oil changes ago. I think that's about it.
I don't think the heads and cam are going to happen right now but believe me I have thought about it.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Launching!

No new codes. I had the codes cleared earlier today and they haven't come back yet. I believe I fixed the P0704 code. As far as a tune up I have replaced the spark plugs about a year ago with bosch platinum +4s. At the same time I pulled the heads to replace the push rods. Two of them were bent. I had the heads surfaced, cleaned, and valve job done. Of course I replaced all the upper end seals and gaskets while I was there. The air filter is due for a cleaning soon. When the hesitation began I cleaned the maf sensor because I thought maybe some of the oil from the filter was causing a false reading but it didn't solve the problem. Fuel filter was change within the last year, and I did an engine flush a couple oil changes ago. I think that's about it.
I don't think the heads and cam are going to happen right now but believe me I have thought about it.
You didnt damage any of the 3 wires in the tb.? I would do a compression test just to get that out my way.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Teching In

When i cleaned the tb i just sprayed it down with some electronics cleaner to get the oil off. I have been planning on doing a compression test but i just haven't got around to it yet.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Just to update anyone interested, I did a compression test and everything looks good. While doing the compression test I found a bad plug wire so I changed them all out. Now the car runs perfect. No more hesitation!! Thanks for everyone's help!!
Old 04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, how did you know the wire was bad?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also would like to know how to check a bad wire.

Quick Reply: 2000 SS low rpm hesitation.