General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

info on getting an old car running again

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default info on getting an old car running again

Hey guys, i have a 79 z28 camaro, my first car. Im wanting to get it started again and get her back on the road. First off the car has been sitting in my driveway for like 4 or so yrs. Basically i just want to know what all i need to do to safely get her started again. I need to buy a battery and starter but as for the fluids do i just need to drain it all out and put all new in and is there any other things i need to look into doing. Thanks for the help guys. This is the first time ive ever attempted something like this.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would change oil and filter. Drain fuel tank and flush fuel lines. Add fresh fuel. Check plugs, wires, cap and rotor. This is just to get it started...not necessarily drive it.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

whats the best way to drain the gas tank and flush the lines, yeah i know i got alot to do before actually driving it, basically just wanna get her started. I got emissions testing for my 94 so that really restricts me on modding it. So i figured ill get the haggerty insurance on my 79 and get exempt from emissions and just build a badass street car for fun on weekends.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

The best way it to drop the tank and dump/discard the old fuel. Check the condition of the inside of the tank. Wipe clean inside. Check for any rust or water. If you have rust you will need a new tank. Disconnect lines at engine and blow with regulated compressed air. Flush with fresh fuel.