General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replaced 4 tie rods still getting clunking

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced 4 tie rods still getting clunking

I just want to confirm that this is my steering rack clunking before I replace it.

All 4 tie rods, inners and outers have been replaced. This noise was made with the car off and moving the wheel left to right rapidly. Could this be anything other than the steering rack itself?

Edit: Is this normal for our cars to make this noise without the car running?
(it's harder to hear but it also makes the noise with the car running, clunk can be felt in the steering wheel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGsPTPy-B-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18S5b9RRXU

Last edited by epox4life; 02-27-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

kind of hard to tell by the video but I would have someone look at the rack to make sure its not moving inside the clamps. Also check the swivel joint in the engine bay where it comes through the fire wall to make sure there's no play there either. If those don't work try jacking one wheel off the ground at a time and wiggle it at the 3-9 position to try and isolate the side. Just some ideas.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why are you doing that with the car off? Does it make any noise when the car is running or while driving? If not then dont worry about it. There isnt any fluid pressure inside the rack to take up the lash in the gear so I would venture to say its normal. FWIW, I checked my TA and it does the same thing with engine off.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joshp14
Why are you doing that with the car off? Does it make any noise when the car is running or while driving? If not then dont worry about it. There isnt any fluid pressure inside the rack to take up the lash in the gear so I would venture to say its normal. FWIW, I checked my TA and it does the same thing with engine off.
Easier to hear with the car off, but it does make the same noise with the car on and you can feel it in the steering wheel. Over bumps in the road it makes the same clunking / rattling noise, that's the reason I was concerned in the first place.

Also if I jack up the drivers side of the car and pull the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock it makes the same clunking noise.

I'll have to make another video of it with the car running.

Maybe it is normal for our cars to make that noise with no pressure in the rack?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Disconnect the I-shaft at the rack and move LF wheel at 3 and 9 as you were stating, if it still makes the noise it elimates all from the i-shaft up thru the column. Then you know its in the rack. If it does it while you are driving then I would put a rack in it if the noise bothers you.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joshp14
Disconnect the I-shaft at the rack and move LF wheel at 3 and 9 as you were stating, if it still makes the noise it elimates all from the i-shaft up thru the column. Then you know its in the rack. If it does it while you are driving then I would put a rack in it if the noise bothers you.
Even with the car off, shouldn't the steering wheel not have play in it? It's the play in the steering wheel while driving that bothers me more than the noise.

I'll try what you suggested, thanks for the help and advice.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

There shouldnt be any play when driving. If there is, probably worn out steering gear.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Ok, front end in the air and moving the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock in this video, clunking can be heard at :15. What could this be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18S5b9RRXU
Old 02-27-2010, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

Worn out rack possibly?

I have a nasty clunk on my passengers side that sounds like that, but I also have all tubular suspension in the corner to replace it...

Any play in the ball joints?
Old 02-27-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

did you check the linkage itself that goes down to the rack?

Nothing up and down? I just replaced a hub due to play but i had to slack in my steering wheel.

Driver side, right beside the exhaust manifold or whatever you have there should be a u-joint or whatever it is called right there check the linkage right there
Old 02-27-2010, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
did you check the linkage itself that goes down to the rack?

Nothing up and down? I just replaced a hub due to play but i had to slack in my steering wheel.

Driver side, right beside the exhaust manifold or whatever you have there should be a u-joint or whatever it is called right there check the linkage right there
No up down movement of the wheels on either side, so I don't think it's a wheel bearing.

When you move the wheel like that you can see the steering linkage move too, so I don't think there's any looseness in the steering linkage. I tried grabbing it while having someone move the steering wheel also and I didn't feel any play. It looks like the steering rack just has play/slack in it self. I just really want to know for sure what the problem is before I put a new steering rack in.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Worn out rack possibly?

I have a nasty clunk on my passengers side that sounds like that, but I also have all tubular suspension in the corner to replace it...

Any play in the ball joints?
I'm really thinking worn out steering rack. What's a good way to test the ball joints?
Old 02-27-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats the only thing left. If it isnt the linkage or tie rods i would not no where else to go besides the rack.

Quick Reply: Replaced 4 tie rods still getting clunking