General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 12:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure gauge

I recently rebuilt my engine and I broke the oil pressure sensor located behind the intake mainfold. Before the replacement of the sensor I was reading 40 lbs at idle. When I replaced the sensor and started up the engine The gauge pegged to past 80 lbs. Also when I turn the car off the needle wont return to 0. I'm a more than a little confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Sensors do go bad - you might have one that went bad on first start. I've installed a sensor on my race car once that was DOA - just read 35 psi constantly - was stuck at it.

If you're putting an aftermarket sender unit, like the one Autometer makes, I would suggest remote mounting it with some braided lines, -4AN maybe - so that the vibrations of the motor don't kill the sender. Autometer senders are notorious for going bad or giving faulty readings when they are mounted directly onto motors because of the vibrations.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Thank you for the information. I decided to check on the problem further and I realized that the wire from the sensor was cut when we re-installed the intake manifold. Thanks a gain for the help.