General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Excitor Wire...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010 | 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tuffluck
so i have a question...how do you go about not breaking the excitor wire from the start? can you reach around the back of the alternator and undo it before you even take the alternator off?
If you can't reach down from the top and unplug it before starting to take the the alternator off.........you can unbolt the two alternator mounting bolts, break it free from the mounts, then turn the alternator a little bit so you can reach upward while you're on your back and unplug it.

also are you guys saying to buy any pigtail or a specific pigtail, or is the general idea of this thread that if you swap your alternator you should add in a 6" length of wire to the pigtail?
Its pretty easy and inexpensive to add 6"-8" of wire while the alternator is out, just for future ease of working with it later.

When mine broke, I just bought some new wire and butt connectors and spliced it in. I used the same plug and the little bit of wire that was left hanging onto the plug. I did two splices. I spliced the new wire onto the broken wire, then I spliced the plug with remaining hanging wire onto the end of the new piece of wire.

Old 04-22-2010 | 07:25 AM
12 Second Club

For prosperities sake, here's what i found about 2 weeks ago when I had this same issue:

Originally Posted by 91RS383
As long as I don't need it "today" I'll go here next time:

www.casperselectronics.com

Here's the splice I needed for $9:
http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...roducts_id=979

Here's a crimper for $30 to make your own metripack conectors:
http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...roducts_id=679

Here's the multi kit to make/rebuild several sizes of conectors (includes pin removal tool):
http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...roducts_id=686
Old 04-22-2010 | 11:28 AM
Launching!

Um, Dumb question. What the hell is an exciter wire? And Why are you doing this? Sorry, I have no idea what ya'll are talking about.
Old 04-22-2010 | 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98ZEMT
Um, Dumb question. What the hell is an exciter wire? And Why are you doing this? Sorry, I have no idea what ya'll are talking about.
the wire that connects the alternator to the pcm to help regulate voltage.

i was doing this because i swapped my alternator, so i wanted to know where it was and how to get to it, because it is on a very short leash, and if you drop the alternator at all without disconnecting the excitor wire, chances are pretty good you will break it.

i think most of the guys here just extended the wire so that if they need to change their alternator, they probably won't break it.
Old 04-22-2010 | 02:02 PM
Launching!

So this won't cause any problems with charging or anything if its not broken? I've noticed with my ASP underdrive pulley that sometimes cruising I'll have like 14 volts. Other times with the exact same accessories on it'll pull below 13.
Old 04-23-2010 | 12:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98ZEMT
So this won't cause any problems with charging or anything if its not broken? I've noticed with my ASP underdrive pulley that sometimes cruising I'll have like 14 volts. Other times with the exact same accessories on it'll pull below 13.
I understand that the PCM, via the Excitor Wire, tells the alternator to start charging after engine start, if its broken the alternator will just sit there and soin and never begin charging the battery. It doesn't have anything to do with regulating voltage. The voltage regulator does that.....

At least thats what I thought.....

Old 04-24-2010 | 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

i just pulled out my alt and swoped it. i was out driving and i saw that the volts where down to 12, so i changed the alt when i started the car again it still said that i was running at 11.5 volts. if the excitor wire was maybe pilled out of place would this be the sorce of my problem? the wire is in not broken anywhere that i can see but i dont know what else could be the problem
Old 04-25-2010 | 12:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by M6-LSONE
i just pulled out my alt and swoped it. i was out driving and i saw that the volts where down to 12, so i changed the alt when i started the car again it still said that i was running at 11.5 volts. if the excitor wire was maybe pilled out of place would this be the sorce of my problem? the wire is in not broken anywhere that i can see but i dont know what else could be the problem
If the excitor wire is broken or not getting signal from the PCM...you would get no charging at all from the alternator.

Old 04-25-2010 | 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

is there a way to test this wire? i pulled on the tubing around the wire and poped it off and am afraid that it may broken somewhere that i cant see
Old 04-25-2010 | 01:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by M6-LSONE
is there a way to test this wire? i pulled on the tubing around the wire and poped it off and am afraid that it may broken somewhere that i cant see
Unplug it and start the engine, if you get no charging at all, its bad somewhere. They sometimes don't break competely, but because they are exposed externally, over the years rocks and **** wear them away, the heat from the engine wears it down, and they can get frayed and stop working. Almost always its near theplug so you can splice new wire in and repair it easily.

Old 04-25-2010 | 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

ok i will have to try that but i dont understand how that tells me that that is the proble. should i see a change somewhere else? ie a light come on a draw in power anthing?
Old 04-25-2010 | 02:02 AM
Staging Lane

any tips on getting it off without having to remove the alt i dont want to do it again for the 4th time
Old 04-25-2010 | 12:59 PM
Banned

If you're getting some charging then the excitor wire is good. Unless maybe its shorting out.

You may have a voltage regulator problem.

Did you take the car to an auto parts store yet and have the battery an the alternator checked yet...that should be the first thing you do. Your battery could be dying out on you.

Old 04-25-2010 | 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

will driving the car cause any problems? i need to take it the auto store to have it checked but i dont want to fry the alt or anything for that mater
Old 04-25-2010 | 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Might want to check this as well

G100 (V6 VIN K) On the lower right side of the engine, above the A/C compressor
G100 (V8 VIN G) On the lower right side of the engine, above the starter solenoid
G101 In the engine compartment, attached to the front of the left wheelhouse
G102 In the engine compartment, attached to the front of the right wheelhouse
G105 Attached to the top right side of the radiator support
G106 Attached to the top left side of the radiator support
G109 Attached to the left front frame rail, forward of the brake pressure modulator valve bracket
G110 (V6 VIN K) In the front of the engine, bolted to the pulley above the A/C clutch connector
G110 (V8 VIN G) Attached to the rear of the drivers side cylinder head
G111 (V6 VIN K) Attached to the left engine mount
G111 (V8 VIN G) Attached to the lower left side of the engine, behind the generator
G112 Attached to the rear of the left cylinder head
G200 Near the left A-pillar, bolted to the IP mounting stud behind the kick panel
G201 Near the right A-pillar, bolted to the IP mounting stud behind the kick panel
G202 Attached to the floor pan under the center console, rear of the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM)
G305 Bolted to the left rocker panel at the floor pan bar
G310 Bolted to the roof, left of the dome lamp
G320 Bolted to the roof, left of the dome lamp
G400 Bolted to the rear compartment lid release actuator bracket in the rear compartment
Old 04-25-2010 | 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

are you saying that if i broke a ground that it would not charge the Battery? G109 was the only out that i even came close too and its still in place so im confused?
Old 04-25-2010 | 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

No. Sorry about that. I didnt realize you wernt getting a charge, I just thought you had a voltage drop.

Im no pro, just throwing it out there. I myself have to check the same as I have voltage drop and flickering lights.

Good luck!

BTW: wernt you close to G111 as well
Old 04-25-2010 | 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

sowwr yes i was close to that one too.

i had thought that i was getting a flicker im my dash lights but didnt think anything of it till now ill have to look at the grounds again
Old 04-26-2010 | 01:23 AM
TECH Regular

Best to look for flickering in the headlights when its really dark outside. I cant really tell in my car until that scenario happens. And boy is it noticable!

I hope I find my issue as well as you for yours
Old 04-26-2010 | 02:31 AM
Staging Lane

thank you best of luck to us both.

Quick Reply: Excitor Wire...