General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1997 LT1 radiator swap

Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 LT1 radiator swap

Hey guys, I don't post here much cause ALL the info i've ever needed has been found useing the search. But i wanted to comment on the exellent advice i got from LS6427. A prompt response and concise info was given with pics too! When i went to the local ac delco parts shop and told them i needed a diff. radiator than stock (for my 02 B4C) they had a sissyfit and said i was going to have problems. What B.S. huh? I trust this site with my cars life and wanted to thank all for the time and effort everyone puts into it. I hav'nt put it in yet allthough i know its a basic type install. I will let let you know when its in.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

DO IT!!!!

Cap the extra port off like I did and you're all done.

Most....NOT ALL...but most people that work at auto parts stores are loser, wanna-be racer, idiots that don't know anything about cars. All they know is the computer in front of them and how to order OEM replacement parts. They're just worthless.

Last edited by LS6427; 03-13-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
DO IT!!!!

Cap the extra port off like I did and you're all done.

Most....NOT ALL...but most people that work at auto parts stores are loser, wanna-be racer, idiots that know don't know anything about cars. All they know if the computer in front of them and how to order OEM replacement parts. They're just worthless.

Totally agree! Recently when I went in, asking about an extra hose opening in a radiator I was told that the cooling system and radiator tanks are not pressurized and it should not leak out of the opening!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by beyonddisturbed
Totally agree! Recently when I went in, asking about an extra hose opening in a radiator I was told that the cooling system and radiator tanks are not pressurized and it should not leak out of the opening!
I'm not surprised. I bought a a new coolant temp sensor once and the guy was like, "aw man I like those LS1's. I'm building a Mustang with a 351 Windsor and a 500 shot of nitrous, gonna take the seats out so its lighter and put a roll cage in it."

I said, "so your building a drag car?"

He said, "no man its gonna be my little street sleeper."

I said, "who's gonna build the engine?"

He said, "I'm getting one from a junkyard and my friends gonna clean it up for me."

I said, "just clean it up or machine it and prep it for a big shot like that."

He said, "no man, those Windsors are awesome just the way they are, I'd be going with more nitrous if I was doing a drag car."

This was a couple weeks ago at a PepBoys.

They are truly the morons of our society.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Teching In

So the radiator finally shipped and its in my room.. I did the cap on the lower drivers side port and i couldent find a old coolent level sensor so i broke down and bought one and now its ready to install. gonna put it in fri morning (no work) I have everything i need and i think the system has natually flushed out since i have filled it about 6 times in one week. (wherever i go i top it of w/ 50/50 orange. and i ran the heater also.) let you know how it goes
Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

The LT1 Radiator is actually a little bigger than the LS1 Radiator.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Precisely!
Old 03-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by the_merv
The LT1 Radiator is actually a little bigger than the LS1 Radiator.
I'm assuming he's putting an LT1 rad into an LS1.

Just the cooling surface area is larger...as far as installing an LT1 radiator into an LS1 there is absolutely nothing noticeable. It goes in exactly the same as an LS1 radiator slides in.

I didn't even realize I bought an LT1 radiator. Took it home and put it in and then realized I had that extra port. Capped it and that was it.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

It's thicker..the LS1 was 7/8"..the LT1 is 1".
Old 03-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by the_merv
It's thicker..the LS1 was 7/8"..the LT1 is 1".
Whatever the difference is....there is absolutely no way to tell, they both go in and out identically and fit identically, with no way to tell which one you had in your hands while doing the job.....except for that extra port.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:05 AM
11 Second Club

Well ya it's a radiator..lol..I was just sayin the difference between the two. Lots of people prefer the LT1 Rad.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Default Radiator install done

Well I finally got a decent day to put the LT1 radiator into my 02 B4C. Man that was an easy swap no sweat whatsoever. I capped the lower port and put a fresh sensor to block off the sensor port (I couldent find an old one to use unfortunatly.) I went by the book and put the car on stands, unhooked everything carefull but did deviate in one small way. I tryed banging on the fan shroud to push it up that 1 inch but it wouldent bugde, acctually the condenser came loose but the shroud and radiator were still stuck together. So i just pulled the entire assembly out the top, took all of 1 minute. unhooked it, put the lower hose on the LT1 rad. and lowered it back in. I figure everyone warns not to touch the cooling fins so coolings not diminished. With the fan shroud attached this was not a concern.
I did carefully knock some dirt from the condenser but it realy wasnt that dirty at all and hooked it all back up. I filled up with 60/40 dexcool and let the air out of the system for about 10 min.
After a quick blast to 6k up on the onramp for a test nothing was leaking! Ausome!
I did find about 1 shots worth of power steering fluid in the drained fluid. it was red in color (kinda fresh looking) What do i do about that?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FHPB4C
I did find about 1 shots worth of power steering fluid in the drained fluid. it was red in color (kinda fresh looking) What do i do about that?
Don't understand.....

Old 03-24-2010, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

You sure it's Power Steering Fluid and not Tranny Fluid?

If it's P/S Fluid then the Cooler is shot..check the P/S Fluid and see what that looks like..
Old 03-24-2010, 06:15 AM
Banned

Oh man.....can it be another person with a factory power steering fluid cooler.....lol

GET RID OF THAT PIECE OF ****..........

Old 03-24-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427
Oh man.....can it be another person with a factory power steering fluid cooler.....lol

GET RID OF THAT PIECE OF ****..........

+1. . . . .I am so happy my car did not come with one after seeing all the posts about them going bad and spilling their guts inside the cooling system.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

I have one on mine..I got it when I did the LS Swap..it was free. I never ran the PS Lines to it, just left the fittings there. One day I noticed a little puddle of Coolant under the car and traced it to one of the Fittings. I took them out and put in Brass NPT Plugs..took care of that problem.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Teching In

O.K. it was tranny fluid in the radiator not power steering fluid.
So i guess thats not a problem since i have a new radiator musta happened when it started to leak....But... I think i will get rid of the power steering cooler anyway as all it does it heat up the fluid and i have been adding a touch more every 2 weeks so it must be leaking anyways.
Is there a link to capping it all off? I need to divert it from the upper radiator hose someway.

Last edited by FHPB4C; 03-24-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: not correct
Old 03-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FHPB4C
O.K. it was tranny fluid in the radiator not power steering fluid.
So i guess thats not a problem since i have a new radiator musta happened when it started to leak....But... I think i will get rid of the power steering cooler anyway as all it does it heat up the fluid and i have been adding a touch more every 2 weeks so it must be leaking anyways.
Is there a link to capping it all off? I need to divert it from the upper radiator hose someway.
Just go to this thread and do what I did. Keep the power steering fluid cool, it will GREATLY prolong the life of your PS pump. The factory PS fluid cooler is actually a heater, it DOES NOT cool the PS fluid. If you touch the factory cooler at any time after the engine is up to operating temp you will get third degree burns. If you touch my cooler, its always just warm to the touch. A real cooler.

Scroll to the last post. Its a 15-20 min job and costs about $40.00.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...teering+cooler

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 LT1 radiator swap