General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need new window motorrr quick question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need new window motorrr quick question

i want to order a new window motor of newgmparts.com because someone on here referred me to them. Then i called autozone to check the price to see if i was actually saving. but autozone asked me whether it was driver or passenger side and i am wondering if there is any difference? because on the other site it didnt ask me as an option so now im afraid to order from there unless the guy at advanced auto is dumb and there same from side to side?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

No difference. The computer may prompt the sales person that there is one - but it should return the same part number. (Some cars have different sides and auto parts stores have to organize their stock in a model that fits most cars.)

You'll be best served by avoiding that site you mentioned. (Its just a web front end for a dealer.) The GM motors are garbage and will just go out on you again. The best bet is to get a Doorman motor from Autozone or wherever. The Doorman design is a new motor (not rebuilt) and is supposed to be sealed better from the elements.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
No difference. The computer may prompt the sales person that there is one - but it should return the same part number. (Some cars have different sides and auto parts stores have to organize their stock in a model that fits most cars.)

You'll be best served by avoiding that site you mentioned. (Its just a web front end for a dealer.) The GM motors are garbage and will just go out on you again. The best bet is to get a Doorman motor from Autozone or wherever. The Doorman design is a new motor (not rebuilt) and is supposed to be sealed better from the elements.
Go with Dorman. Just did this on my '98 TA and my brothers '02 WS6. Both were drivers side. No difference in side. Dorman is a good buy and the motor works well.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99

gm motors are not junk. are you a dorman dealer or something?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by jam01
I didn't say they were junk. They are garbage.

The GM motors (not actually built by "GM") were state of the art in the 1979 GM model cars they were originally designed for. These days, they are not made new and are only available as reman motors. Often times, people will get a reman with a faulty thermal cutoff circuit or a reman wired backwards, etc.

Doorman is one of a few companies that has taken the initiative to do something better with the design and is the most affordable "new" option.

Full disclosure -> I do not have Doormans. I abandoned my OEM design a couple of years ago for the ElectricLife motor/regulator combo. It works better than my motors ever did. (I got my car from the factory.) While on the OEM design, I got a LOT of practice installing and re-installing the window motors. Fortunately, I haven't had to even take off my door panels since changing my motor design.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Launching!

hmm i already ordered the genunine gm one only got it for 45 shipped brand new, if that goes i'll get the dorman
Old 03-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dormans go out too......I bought life time from autozone so every time they go out i get a free new one.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Launching!

i think yours keep going out because u didnt do the wire mod... the window always kicks a breaker cause it doesnt get enough amps because it is drawn off the main wires so it was wired like **** and u need to reground it and run your own stuff idk im not making much sense but look it up... i did it to mine and my motor still dead but i think thats cause i drained the motor to **** from using it like that with new motor should be fine
Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jam01
I would have to agree the the GM motor is a real .... the replacement motors I got at Advance Auto Parts are much better and very fast compared to the GM part .. plus they were only $29 dollars a piece with a life time warranty...Try getting GM to give you another one when it craps out... I replaced both motors 3 1/2 years ago and have not problems since...