General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

having a hard time starting my TA, fuel pump going out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having a hard time starting my TA, fuel pump going out?

A couple days ago I had to replace my alternator because it wasn't charging the new one seems to work fine, my belt is squeeking a little bit now but everything has been all good until yesterday. I was in a drive through and my car starting idling all crazy and the revved up on its own so I turned it off while I was waiting, when I turned it back on it took several tries and took way too long just heard the starter going ca ca ca ca ca for a while and eventually vroom! car started. Lately it will start fine some of the time and other times struggle to start. Its acting exactly like my sisters explorer did when her fuel pump went out. Whats a good website to buy a fuel pump from for a decent price? Is there any point in upgrading to an aftermarket pump now, I do plan on doing alot of mods in the future. Is this normal for a fuel pump to go out this early in a cars life? My ta is a 2002 and has just under 70,000 miles
Old 03-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Launching!

little help?
Old 03-26-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to check your fuel pressure to make sure your replacing something that is broken. I think Autozone will loan you a pressure reader for free.

As far as replacing one a Walbro is a trusted source. Upgrading depends on how crazy your going with your build if your doing the 400 HP range a standard Walbro is fine. Racetronix makes a nice kit to upgrade your pump and wiring in one fell swoop, it's where I'm going with mine if I don't build one myself.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Launching!

what else could it be other than the fuel pump? my fuel filter is pretty new
Old 03-27-2010, 05:17 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Fuel pressure test is what you should do before anything else at this point. 70K seems a little young for a fuel pump, but hey, things happen and this is a GM product after all. Also, you can get the walbro for cheaper, but my personal preference is the OEM/stock unit. Can't go wrong with OEM...