General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How much can bad 02 sensors affect my car??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bumpp
Old 04-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00SS
bumpp
3rd time.

Get a scan at a dealership or a speed shop so you can rule certain things out, until you do you'll just be blindly chasing the problem. If you call around to all the Pontiac and Chevy dealers you might be able to find one that will scan you for free. Engine builders/speed shops will usually do it for free as a courtesy too.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

i got scanned by an obdII scanner already, what is doing it with a "real" one from a dealership going to tell me? Not trying to be rude or anything, just trying to learn. Thanks for your input though.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ryan00SS
i got scanned by an obdII scanner already, what is doing it with a "real" one from a dealership going to tell me? Not trying to be rude or anything, just trying to learn. Thanks for your input though.
What he is refering to is a live datastream, not just a simple reader. It will show you how the O2's are switching (they cycle voltage within a certain range) and if they are working on all functions. The codes show the heaters are slow or bad. Replace them and you may be surprised. The ET's sound like it could be some clutch slippage ( drive on the road in 5th/6th and at 50mph floor it and listen for the RPM's to rise. That will test the clutch for slippage) or check the plugs. The O2's bad can cause rich at cruise or idle so you may have a fouled plug or two.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JasonSS2000
What he is refering to is a live datastream, not just a simple reader. It will show you how the O2's are switching (they cycle voltage within a certain range) and if they are working on all functions. The codes show the heaters are slow or bad. Replace them and you may be surprised. The ET's sound like it could be some clutch slippage ( drive on the road in 5th/6th and at 50mph floor it and listen for the RPM's to rise. That will test the clutch for slippage) or check the plugs. The O2's bad can cause rich at cruise or idle so you may have a fouled plug or two.
i have a scanmaster that can check o2 voltage. ill plug that in and check out what range each of them is at. what voltage should they be at? thanks for the response
Old 04-14-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not to hi-jack but I might be having the same issue. I replaced all my sparkplugs and the driver side one's were really black and dirty but the passenger side one's were really clean. The car runs sloppy and it feels like the engine wants to turn off. I did get a O2 sensor code also. Would the 02 sensors really make the motor run sluggish? Thanks
Old 04-14-2010, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Bump.
I also get a EVAP incomplete, for the system scan.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

Take a look at your plugs as well as O2 sensors. If the O2 sensors are the stockers and charred black then they need to be replaced most likely. My car was running like crap when my stock O2s went bad recently.

Quick Reply: How much can bad 02 sensors affect my car??