General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

bcm control lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bcm control lights?

Got a weird one here. The orange signal markers on the front of the trans am always are supposed to be on as long as the key is on. My drivers side is good to go but my passenger side doesnt turn on. So I figured ok its a bad bulb. Swapped the bulb out and nothing. Going further into it I noticed that the bulb turns on when the headlights are on though. I have had some electrical issues lately with the car starting and am wondering whether or not the BCM could possibly be faulty. That is assuming that the running lights even have anything to do with the BCM. Any light shed on this would be awesome!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Launching!

I would double check your lights with a partner and see if it is doing what you say it is doing... I know it sounds stupid, but I would double check... They work when the car is on... so it doesnt sound like a huge problem.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The turn signal lamp has two filaments- one is energised by the headlight switch when turned on- the other is powered by the Daytime Running Lamps module (DRL) when headlight switch is off.I supppse it could be the socket but may be the DRL.You should have a brown and a light blue wire going to socket and black to ground.The light blue carries voltage from DRL-you need to check if you have that to run down problem.
Also what year car- I asumed '98-02.Earlier years may be wired differently.Know how to use a voltmeter?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I know how to use a meter. The car is a '98. I know they are dual filament bulbs so I already switched it out for a new one and still nothing different. Only reason I ask about the BCM possibly causing the problem is because I forgot to zip tie my starter power wire away from my headers the last time I switched it out and it welded itself to the passenger header, causing lots and lots of problems with the electronics in the car. Oh well such is life. I was just driving it last night and bam all of a sudden now none of my dash lights work anymore. I am sure a module is fried somewhere causing this crap I just need to track it down and replace it. I didn't know the TA's had a DRL module? I figured the Camaro would have one since it actually has DRL's but since the TA's has the flip up lights I wouldn't think it would. Anybody have access to a vehicle wiring diagram for the BCM, and the DRL module so I can start my quest chasing wires?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm looking at diagram right now-some illumination lamps are powered by fuse #16. Do you still have fasten seatbelt light or high beam indicator?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sure do. checked all fuses and they are good to go.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stupid question- you sure you didn't bump the dimmer switch all the way down?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is the DRL wiring diagram:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-10-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so am I seeing this right? Are there to DRL Modules? Thats what the diagram looks like anyway.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good question-It seems to be one module with two molex plugs hooked to it so they drew it as two.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where is the drl located in the car? anybody know?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Service manual says "mounted behind the radio and the HVAC control ". I can try and send the drawing but not till after work.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I did some digging around last night and popped the stereo out. I found the module. Im guessing I did anyway. It is a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes and has 2 harnesses in it correct?

Just to clarify I did some poking around with the parking light plugs that the bulb itself goes into. I noticed that both of the sockets are corroded as F***. I happened to have some electronics cleaner so I sprayed it out and scraped off the corrosion from the contacts inside. Still didn't solve the problem. The Drivers side still functions as normal(key on:bulb on, Left turn signal on: bulb does its job) The passenger side only functions while the headlights are on. Not with the parking lights, just the headlights. And the turnsignal doesn't function either. I am about sick of this damn thing. I need to try and track down new sockets for both sides since they are corroded so bad but I'm not sure where to go. O'reilly's...no, AutoZone...no, Advance...no. I haven't got around to calling the dealership but I am guessing they will tell me they stopped producing the part and they wont be able to get it either. Any advice on anything I just covered?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sockets are probably female right? You could cut each wire one at a time and crimp on terminals to put back on module.Or look for good plugs at a junk yard and cut off and use butt terminals to graft into your car.
But before I'd do that I would check input and output voltage at the module.Do you have 12V at terminal GC1 to ground with key on? Then check from Ground to CC1-any voltage there? If yes,do you have it at turn signsl socket terminal A?
Answer these questions and we are one step closer to a solution I think.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Found out Rockauto.com has a ton of wiring harness connectors including DRL module if you end up needing one.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is the DRL module with all inputs and outputs- if you want I could send it as a PDF so you could enlarge it- just PM me.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-08-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the help so far btw. work has been keeping me busy and I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on the car. I will check it tonight or tomorrow and let you know what I have.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's funny how work sometimes gets in the way of ..........life. LOL
Old 05-12-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

still haven't got a damn chance to work on the car. sometimes I wish I didn't have a girlfriend. anytime I have free time some task pops up that needs attention asap!