General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can't track down the *ping* noise. Feedback please!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't track down the *ping* noise. Feedback please!!

So I keep getting a ping noise coming from the trans/drive shaft area with a change in load(accel and decel).
Things I have replaced:
Trans Mount(poly)
Torque arm mount(poly)
Transmission(from 4l60e to T56)
Read end(from LT1 to LS1)
Drive shaft u joints(spicer)
Also had the shaft checked for balance.

Now, the car is lowered and has LCA relocation brackets(lowest setting). Upon harder acceleration I can feel a strange vibration.. but it is fine under normal load. My Y-pipe is clear of the frame so I know it's not that. Is it possible the drive shaft yoke is bad somehow? I have a small leak coming from my pinion seal with both auto and manual transmissions. Previous owner of the T56 claims it never leaked a drop and I believe him. I would really just like to stop replacing parts and learn from someone else who solved this same problem. Any feedback what so ever is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Launching!

Nobody?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you lifted your car and checked for fresh marks? thats what i would do. put her up on a lift, and that would be the best that i could do. as for the vibration it sounds to me like maybe an off balanced torque converter tho i dont know how that could have possibly happened. the yoke should be just fine i havent seen too many chevy's where the yoke wasnt able to fit into another chevy tranny. and when i say i havent seen to many i mean i have never see that problem.. one last thing i can offer is that it could be the angle of your drive shaft. I hope this helps you at all. and i thought even if i am wrong.. at least i put something up here to help you out.

Late