General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Idle fluctuates between 240 and 800

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idle fluctuates between 240 and 800

I have an issue that when decelerating or sometimes when sitting still, my idle will fluctuate between 240-800 RPM. I have a scanner/data logger, so, what should I look for that could point me to why my '02 SS is having trouble holding idle. Other than idle she runs like a top.

I have:
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned, then replaced IAC,
Cleaned IAT
Cleaned TB/Intake.

There are no codes or pending codes in the computer. I did notice the TPS varies between 0.0% and 0.4% at idle. Sometimes it fluctuates, but usually picks one or the other.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you able to get a live data read of the o2 sensors? If so, make sure they are switching good. Also, you can try unplugging the MAF and see if that helps. Just because you cleaned it doesn't mean it's not bad. Or try to rob one from a buddies ls1 if possible and see if that fixes it.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:52 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks ^^

I can view and graph realtime sensor data.

I watched the O2s and they seemed to be switching quickly, and frequently. They almost look like they are on or off. I have one on my Jeep that looks like a sine wave. Is that what's refered to as switching slowly?

Since I've been fighting with this since my converter swap, I read this thread about idle issues:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...er-tuning.html
Based on it, I adjusted my throttle bump stop and reset the tps. I didn't have much time to test drive it last night, so I'll check more tonight, but the idle seemed like it settled right in at 750.

If that didn't fix the issue, I'll try the MAF tests. Is there something I can look for in the MAF data to tell if it's misbehaveing? I'll post back after I drive it a bit more tonight.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:33 AM
12 Second Club

I went conservitive on the adjustments talked about in the above link and things are much better, but not all the way fixed. I'll give the throttle bump stop a little more and see if I can find the sweet spot. I hope I'm right, because I love free fixes