General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 Newer Vehicle Formula

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Corvette C5R

When the corvette factory team (pratt-miller) was in town for the american le mans series race last year I was talking to the mechanics down in the pitts and they told me that they use Mobil 1 in the race cars..They have won the series the last 3 years in a row. And the 24 hours of le mans 2 of the last 3 years.... never have any motor failures...Good enough 4 them good enough for me
Old 01-17-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mobil 1 they use in the race cars is not even close to the stuff you buy off the shelf though. You can't get the kind of technologically advanced oil they need from a $4 oil. Mobil 1 is good, but has to compromise itself somewhat in order to remain at a low enough price. This is why Redline and Amsoil are priced higher, they use better basestocks and a better additive package than Mobil 1. Pay close attention to the LS1 Synthetic Oil Life Study (the link I posted above), and you'll see that Redline and Amsoil will outperform Mobil 1.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
The Mobil 1 they use in the race cars is not even close to the stuff you buy off the shelf though. You can't get the kind of technologically advanced oil they need from a $4 oil. Mobil 1 is good, but has to compromise itself somewhat in order to remain at a low enough price. This is why Redline and Amsoil are priced higher, they use better basestocks and a better additive package than Mobil 1. Pay close attention to the LS1 Synthetic Oil Life Study (the link I posted above), and you'll see that Redline and Amsoil will outperform Mobil 1.

I was not trying to emply that the C5R's use the same stuff the you can buy at your local auto parts store. But I have used Mobil 1 for a lot of years and run my cars pretty hard. When ever I have been inside the motors they have shown a remarkable lack of wear. I am sure that you can find better lubricants than mobil 1..but for the $ it is hard 2 beat in my book..never had a oil related failure while using mobil 1.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a box of mobil 1 5w-30, mobil one oil filter, and lucas oil stabilizer for my next change. I use this combo religiously and have no problems whatsoever. Startups are fine and everything. I beat my cars *** so i change it between 3,000 and 4,000 miles.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use Mobil 1 5W-30. I've been using it for more than 10 years on all of my cars. I've never had a problem with it.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Teching In

M1 5w-30 is supposed to be the stock oil in LS1 vettes,but on previous sites, these oil testing services say that the 5W30 oil runs on the thin side for how it is advertised. If you look at your manual it will show the different temp ranges for oil viscos. I think if you want to use M1 oil go with a 10W-40 range or higher in warm climates. I live in montana where we can get really cold- and we need our rigs to start!!! My '93 Chev pup has never had anything but M1 oil. 5W-30 works well in cold climates but according to my oil guage is pretty thin for summer when we actually get hot! I use 10W-40 in summer where it seems to work well. My pup has 175000 miles on it and the motor has never been touched!!!!
Old 01-22-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found it rather interesting that their M1 tests showed the greatest amount of engine wear (iron, copper, and lead) in the first 3000 miles of usage, and that the wear apparently dropped off considerably after 3000 miles. It'll be interesting to see if the Amsoil shows similar trends. Looks like possibly the perfect reason for NOT changing your oil every 3000 miles. Hmm, something I'll have to keep in mind.

Interestingly enough, I just got my first Blackstone Labs test kit in the mail this past weekend.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had a noisey lifter at idle(warm) since i purchased the T/A.I've always used M1.

I recently switched to Amsoil 5W30 in hopes of getting rid of the tapping at idle....no change,it still sounds the same.I wonder how long that lifter is going to work,i don't want to change it till it makes noise all of the time.

I ran the car 34 times through the 1/8th. mi.drag strip last summer and the lifter noise never got worse,so i'm going to run the **** out of it again this summer.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and lucas oil stabilizer for my next change."

I've read that Lucas seriously makes oil foam at high RPM. Might be , I don't know.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:25 AM
Launching!

Wink

If motor oil additives were really beneficial then we'd see the motor oil manufacturers including them when their motor oils are produced.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by David 2002 WS6
If motor oil additives were really beneficial then we'd see the motor oil manufacturers including them when their motor oils are produced.
My point exactly! A well formulated oil does not need anything put into it to help it out.

My one exception to this rule is if you buy an older car with higher mileage on it and it has run conventional oil in it, and may be sludged up or having carbon buildup on the rings. In these cases, the engine needs a good cleaning, and the one product I found which really works very well is called Auto-rx, and I've used it myself and seen firsthand how well it cleans a neglected engine. My oil analysis results improved after using this product, and my valvetrain noise went down. But my LT1 was slightly neglected, I think someone who uses synthetics from new would not have much need for this (it wouldn't hurt though)
Old 01-23-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by yeary01z71
Which auto stores usually carry K&N oil filters?
The Advance Auto Sells them in my area.

BowlingSS
Old 01-23-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

I have managed a fast lube facility for 6 years now, over 16000 oil changes a year, One other poster in this thread can verify. We see a great # of vehicles that have over 200K miles running regular petrolem based oils. Granted they are not "high performance" motors, which stress motor oils to the limit. But many are usually 1K-2K over the normal 3K change interval per oil change. Most people on this board would never consider going 7K on a oil change because they care about repercutions of wear on parts, but I feel most users of any full synthetics will be well protected in a normal 3K interval. By the way I use 0W40 Mobil 1 in my 02 SS. I am not a expert on Patman's level, but this is what I see in the world of reality.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've read lately (and have personnaly seen in the oil testing of my big trucks) oil changes are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overrated.

I keep mine topped off (synthetic) and change it every 10K miles even though it doesn't really need it at that point. In my big trucks I go 30K miles.

Take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's true, many people are changing their oil far too often, you can go much longer than 3k on synthetics. Changing your thinking, not your oil!
Old 01-24-2004, 07:19 AM
10 Second Club

My dad knows a guy that changes his filter every 3000 and only adds oil when it needs it. He's gotten over 100,000 on the motor that way.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

Id never add anything to my oil again had a 454 with 100 thousand miles didn't burn oil and tried that engine restore stuff a can is like $10 started the car ya it cleaned the motor coun't even see the car in the garage it was blowing so much smoke and it was a smoker from that day on, until I rebuilt the motor.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ss rally red
I have managed a fast lube facility for 6 years now, over 16000 oil changes a year.
Geez... I've been looking into starting up my own business, and I should seriously look into starting a fast lube place. My lord... you guys make a killing on those poor saps who won't take the time to change their own oil.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Teching In

On the frequency of oil changes- If you do a lot of short trips to town or wherever and your car doesnt get warm, then you need to change your oil sooner because you still can get contaminates in the oil!!! 3000 miles at this pace might be to long! If you do a lot highway driving then 7000 miles might be too soon. As far as additives are concerned, all oils have additives in them all ready- anti rust, stabilizers, etc. If you use a good quality oil, and change it according to driving habits, you wont need additives. Race cars change oil after every track session- A few trips down the strip or around the oval can do an equivelant wear of several thousand miles! Just a few thoughts from an old gear head!
Old 01-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Wink

Originally Posted by David 2002 WS6
Originally Posted by mojols1
As far as additives are concerned, all oils have additives in them all ready- anti rust, stabilizers, etc.
True. I should have written "If extra motor oil additives such as those found as oil supplement products that we can buy at the places that sell motor oil were really beneficial then we'd see the motor oil manufacturers including them with the other additives they are already adding when their motor oils are produced and we wouldn't have to add them in ourselves." Thanks for the correction!

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 Newer Vehicle Formula