General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Loose gas pedal. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose gas pedal. Any ideas?

So yesterday, I noticed there was a lot of slack in my gas pedal. So much that I couldn't even WOT. I took a look at it, and it's definitely sitting lower than usual. I don't really know what to look for, but I noticed that something looked loose. I took a picture with my phone, and figured I'd post it up on here. What's that black piece to the far right of the bar? I notice that it moves with the gas pedal and seems very loose also.
Attached Thumbnails Loose gas pedal. Any ideas?-imag0118.jpg  
Old 05-07-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

is the gas pedal physically loose or is it just the throttle cable??... it's hard to tell from the pic but it looks like maybe just the throttle cable... if you have tcs/asr you can adjust the slack out of it under the hood from the black box that the cable runs to... if you don't have tcs/asr you will need to adjust it from inside the car at the gas pedal... if you pull up on the pedal you will see the cable stick out the top, that's all the slack you need to take out... i originally took a small vacuum hose and cut it to the same length as the slack then cut it horizontally and slid it over the cable and used zip ties to hold it tight... what this does is prevent the cable from sliding back into the top of the pedal... i have a 98 and later found out that the newer cars had a bigger throttle body cam so i ended up swapping my cam with a newer one and it took all the slack out of the cable with no need for my rigging job under the dash... it looks like your car is a 99 so that method might not work and this is also assuming you have a stock throttle body, i'm not sure about aftermarket ones... if you have access to another throttle body you might give it a shot and see if you can find one with a slightly larger cam
Old 05-08-2010, 09:29 AM
9 Second Club

Well, I fixed the problem. Turns out when I pressed the pedal to the floor, my tb blade would only open up 3/4 of the way. I messed around with the cable and tightened it at the little black piece halfway down the cable itself. Works great now.

I still have no idea how it randomly came loose, but I'm just glad it's fixed now.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Toyota throttle?

Quick Reply: Loose gas pedal. Any ideas?