General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

~~ Added a ground. Still have flickering lights - low volt - INOP ABS BRAKE ~~

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

102 from Advance

Do you notice your lights dimming at all?

I should also mention that the Service Vehicle light is now coming on here and there.

Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 05-22-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any codes? Your lights are dimming for one of two reasons. Either something is drawing so much current that your alt is unable to keep up or the current its producing is not reaching the battery/circuits. I vote for number two. Will it do this while its idling? Try disconnecting one light and read the voltage at the socket...chances are you'll be reading less voltage than whats at the battery.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Regular

Everything dims and dies down together... All connections have been checked and they are good. I dont have the flickering anymore. Not since the ALT install. But I have seen it dip down to 12 volts about 4 times now... So no point in testing since its only happened 4 times in two weeks, I might be standing there awhile LOL

So yeah totally new issue.

Not even sure if it is an issue, but I would like to have eveything the way it should be

No codes
Old 05-25-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Did you happen to notice what your RPM's were when you saw the output dip?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Never noticed it change. Stays at 700 at idle but it doesnt happen at idle anymore..

Since the ALT change its only been during driving. During that time RPM nor accel changed
Old 05-25-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

One thing you might try...disconnect pos and neg cables at both ends. Attach ohmmeter using clip leads (emphasis on the clip), and then wiggle the cables while watching the continuity. This almost sounds like its vibration related. Also, make sure that the exciter wire connection to the alt is clean/tight. They seem to have a problem in that regard. Take a voltage reading on the exciter wire while moving it around and see what happens.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

What I find strange is that my car has all kinds of virbrations and I drive the **** out of it. Yet when the die down happened, the car was under normal accel and load. 3 out of 4 times. The other was just letting off the gas to cruise to a stop. I yanked on both neg and poss but it had no change. I visually inspected the best that I could, all possitives look great, the neg I havent checked so well (cant really see). The exciter wire is deff good.

I should mention that there have been various occasions where idle did surge when letting off the gas. Voltage did not change...

Could you possibly do me a favor? If so;
Record what your voltage is on a cold startup, then when warm and then again when you have been driving spiritedly. In order... TIA
Old 05-25-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

No prob, but it'll take me a couple days. Boss man from out of town is droppin' in.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Teching In

I believe I have the same exact problem with my 96 Camaro RS 3.8. When driving at a steady speed most of the time, my lights dim (for just a second) and my ABS INOP light comes on. Not hitting any bumps, cruising at a steady speed, not doing anything crazy. I'm still trying to figure it out myself but I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't even found any clues or anything yet. I read a few forums that say the third brake light bulbs can cause this issue because they share the same ground and it worked for a number of people, but not me. If you came to a conclusion about what this would be, please post. I will do the same.

Quick Reply: ~~ Added a ground. Still have flickering lights - low volt - INOP ABS BRAKE ~~