General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

hatch lid rattling

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hatch lid rattling

does anyone else have this problem when i hit bumps my dam trunk lid is rattling and this is driving me crazy i check it all the time and it feels tight someone please give me some ideas?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 211 Likes on 163 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Are the hatch struts both good? Is the hatch making contact with the adjustable rubber bumpstops? I think I have a little squeak coming from one of my struts, little things like that drive me crazy too.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the tack welds on the hatch assembly. mine had broken welds at the bottom and it would rattle and squeak bigtime...finally did a thorough investigation and found the source. I fixed it by drilling two 3/16 holes and riveted it down...hope this helps you out.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

mine rattle over bumps as well.. I kinda stopped worrying about it..
Old 06-04-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

The mount for the prop rod that is on the hatch is not a solid part of the fiberglass hatch, it is epoxied to it. One of mine is broken and someone has tried to fix it before. They drilled 5 holes around it and injected epoxy but it broke as well.

I tried to fabricate a fix for it out of 1/4" plate with a threaded center and a shorter ball stud that is riveted to the accessible underside of the hatch instead of the inside of the hatch. The force from the strut just ripped the rivets right through the fiberglass.

After that I just left of the portion of plastic trim that covers the rear latch on the hatch and it has minimal squeaks now. I don't hear it but on a very rare occasion. I guess the strut was rubbing the plastic trim and causing this super annoying squeak.

Quick Reply: hatch lid rattling