General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C diagnosis/repair.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For anybody else reading this, do you homework, spend some time reading about how to do it right, and determine what you want to do. If somebody who knowns how to do it right is going to give you advice, at least listen. Google "automotive AC Forum" there is a lot of great information.

When I worked on my AC system of my car, I bought a set of gauges and a vacuum pump to do the work. I did purge the low pressure fitting between the can to the manifold gauge set. (I did not between the manifold gauge and the low pressure port, since it was under vacuum from the previous step)

Sure, It might not be 100% to the book, since I just used 2 cans and not a scale to charge, but as a "DIY" type of person, I wanted to get the most value for my dollar, and the $40 I spend on gauges and $100 pump beats paying for 2 hours of labor at a shop, when the system needed just o-rings (and of course while it was open, replaced the orifice tube and cleaned out the condensor (externally) of the 10 years of road debris.

Not all LS1 cars use a orifice tube, the LS1 GTO uses a TXV valve, not an orifice tube.

Ryan
Old 06-12-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
Sure, It might not be 100% to the book, since I just used 2 cans and not a scale to charge, but as a "DIY" type of person, I wanted to get the most value for my dollar, and the $40 I spend on gauges and $100 pump beats paying for 2 hours of labor at a shop, when the system needed just o-rings (and of course while it was open, replaced the orifice tube and cleaned out the condensor (externally) of the 10 years of road debris.

+1 . . . The best and still the easiest.