General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

low beam headlight bulbs dying way too fast

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low beam headlight bulbs dying way too fast

I've had my TA since December 08 since then I've had to replace both low beam headlights one went out right after the other one like 5 months ago. Just yesterday my left low beam died again, these headlight aren't all that cheap and its not like I do all my driving at night, should'nt a new replacement light last longer than 5 months? The new one that just died yesterday was a sylvania or whatever the kind thats supposed to be really bright the other headlight is something else and noticably not as bright as the sylvania was
Old 06-18-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the headlight for water or moister, if any water is getting into the headlight it will burn out the bulb fast. also check the actual headlight plug, is the foam on the inside ring still together? is the bulb socket dirty or anything? Id try a few different things, try replacing the bulb socket (its cheap at any auto parts store) and then put some diode grease in the socket. Id also avoid touching the bulb as the grease from your fingers can cause the bulb to prematurely blow out. Another thing you can try as a last ditch effort is to drill holes in the bottom of the headlight which allows the moister to escape the headlight as the bulb heats up (i had to do this to my turn signal) Also try to re-glue the headlight to the housing with a small bead of rtv. Hope this helps...
Old 06-18-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

WS6 has pop up/down headlights...

Check to see if the top/bottom position stop tabs still have the light colored plastic bumpers on them...

If they're gone (they fall off), cut some small-diameter thick-walled fuel hose and place it on the stop tabs (use hose diameter that gives a tight fit)... this will cushion the headlight assembly when it reaches top or bottom.

Quick Reply: low beam headlight bulbs dying way too fast