General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Compressor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Compressor Oil

I know this is ls1 general maintenance but not sure where to post this..Does anyone know how much oil is in the A/C compressor for a '96 lt1? I bought a new compressor and spilled a bit of the oil out of it. Without knowing how much spilled out I guess I need to empty the oil completely out and fill it back up. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the amount of oil is a system requirement. Replacement compressors should always have the oil drained and replaced. Why are you replacing the compressor? previous one failed or just leaking. Are you flushing the system?

Ryan
Old 06-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Launching!

The previous compressor failed. I think it was just the clutch but I could not remove it even with the removal tool (rented from autozone).

Good to know about draining and replacing the oil...but how do I know how much to put in? Also how do I go about flushing the system?
Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mhayes2344
The previous compressor failed. I think it was just the clutch but I could not remove it even with the removal tool (rented from autozone).

Good to know about draining and replacing the oil...but how do I know how much to put in? Also how do I go about flushing the system?
you have to take it somewhere that works on A/C systems. the cans you buy at autozone are worthless. just drain and install your compressor, DONT TURN IT ON and take it to be recharged.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

If you aren't absolutely, 110% certain that it was only the clutch, then I'd very strongly recommend that you take it to a shop and have them flush the system prior to putting any oil/refrigerant back in. Otherwise, you'll destroy your new compressor in less than 30 days for sure, and probably faster than that. When a compressor goes bad, all that crap gets tossed out into the system, just waiting to cause harm. It will also plug the orifice tube, so even with a new compressor and a proper oil/refrigerant charge, the system won't work.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Launching!

The old compressor worked fine but it squeaked so I bought a new one (I assume it was the clutch squeaking but couldn't remove it)...picked up an a/c delete pulley in the meantime but I want to go back to A/C. The compressor has been sitting in my garage for over a year. Maybe I should just take it a place that works on A/C and have them install it and recharge it...
Old 06-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Teching In

If you really want to do it yourself you can. Just go to advance auto parts and they sell a can of flush for about $15. You will need clean compressed air to dry the system afterwards. I removed all my lines to do this as well as the orifice tube. My evaporator was real dirty but flushed clean and my condensor was hard to get all the flush out so i don't know if i would do that again. I also think that you could probably just use carb cleaner and it would do a better job but haven't tried it. As far as oil when I searched on here the consensus was 8 oz of oil in the compressor(pag150). There is a fill plug on the side. Drain out what came in it and add the 8 oz. I did all of this in about 2 hrs and then took it to get vacuumed down and recharged. This was on an LS1 car but i am sure its the same on a LT1. A/C now blows 45 degrees and has been over 2 months since i did it without a problem.

Also don't forget to buy a new dryer and orifice tube. About $50 total at advance auto parts.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99pewterTA
I also think that you could probably just use carb cleaner and it would do a better job but haven't tried it.
This would be a REALLY bad idea.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditto, you need to get all of the flush out of the system, and most of the "cheap" stuff at the auto parts store leaves a film.

http://www.autoacforum.com/attachmen...APER%20vs2.pdf is a great flushing resource to read.

Ryan

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor Oil