General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear rotor stuck to ebrake

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear rotor stuck to ebrake

I was swapping in a new axle, and the rotors went on with just my hands. Driver side had no problem, mounted caliper, done. Passenger side the caliper wouldnt line up, so I notice the rotor was cockeyed. I tried to take it back off, its completely stuck to ebrake. Rubber hammer did nothing. I cannot move it whatsoever, it is completely stuck to the innter druum ebrake thing. I dont udnerstand how it slid on with no effort, i did not touucuh the ebrake at any time. I disconnected ebrake cable to hope to create some slack, did nothing. This thing is 100% seized. Car has been down for months this was my last step to be driving it and now im pissed. Can anyone please help??
Old 06-26-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't messed with the e-brake on a 4th gen, but on the drum brakes I've worked on you have to back them off before you can get the drum off. That may be why it's hanging up. There's typically a self-adjusting wheel on the bottom - back that off to release the tension on the drum.

Hopefully someone with 4th gen specific info will pipe in. I'm just speaking from general knowledge of how drum brakes work, so your mileage may vary.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this happen the other day. Rotor slips on and then the E brake shoe gets caught up on the ridge of the rotor - and it's locked on. I banged around on it (with a real hammer) until it eventually came off. It slipped right back on and was nice and free.

You might want to try this: For safety, put one wheel nut on the rotor first. Then fire up the engine and put in in gear. It might centre the E brake shoe back into position.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Putting it in reverse and moving the wheels while they are on stands may help loosen it as well.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Try a steel hammer this time and put the Playskool hammer back in the toy box
Old 06-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 343 Likes on 314 Posts

Is this after you re-installed the brake? The adjuster wheel may have been too tight.

Can you turn the wheel? Is it a new rotor?

In order to get it off, you'll probably need to turn the wheel as you pry off. (Once off, you can loosen the brake star wheel.)

Try putting a short 2X4 across the wheel studs and use a C-Clamp at either end to create a force trying to pull the rotor off. Then tap the 2X4 at one end, using leverage to turn the whole contraption at the same time. If this works, keep tightening the clamps and turning.