General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

gonna die at an early age over this car... fml

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*sigh*, well, i replaced the maf. it wasn't the issue.

i replaced the driver side 02, but had to reuse the extension because the store didn't have the one i need. i had the code 02 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 (that is the front driver side sensor right?) heater circuit failure or something. silly me for not writing the code down. i will buy somemore with the long wires. the one i bought was supposed to be like 26in. that still didnt reach. so i spent a bunch of money for nothing.

the car drives terribly but never stalled i had to drive it to my mechanc's shop. i'm getting my crankshaft sensor replaced too. it felt good when it wasn't hesitating. but i simply do not have time after work and dealing with my prego wife.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im thinking of retuning without a maf. going the s&d route...
Old 06-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1TA
im thinking of retuning without a maf. going the s&d route...
No man....you have to find out whats wrong.

If you're certain you ruled out 02 sensors and/or 02 sensor wires.....you could have a PCM problem.

The MAF is only in play during cold start...and when you go WOT.....so its not the MAF.

Why do you need extensions...the long Densos aren't long enough?

Last edited by LS6427; 06-29-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have to buy the long densos. i bought bosches that weren't long enough. i wouldn't rule out the 02 wires yet since i only changed one o2 sensor and not the extension. Did i change the right one? bank 1 sensor 1 is the driver side sensor right?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Banned

i have to buy the long densos. i bought bosches that weren't long enough. i wouldn't rule out the 02 wires yet since i only changed one o2 sensor and not the extension. Did i change the right one? bank 1 sensor 1 is the driver side sensor right?
Check the codes list in the sticky for whatever code you had.......I really can't remember those differnet bank codes.

I will tell you this, not saying your PCM is the same as mine...because all PCM's are NOT and DO NOT act the same. But my PCM will not allow my engine to run with Bosch 02 sensors. I had one 02 sensor failure back in 2006, my first one. It was one of my 1998 originals but it was with my 427ci. I figured I'd just replace them both. (rear 02's are programmed out, LT's). I stopped by Advance Auto and picked up two Bosch sensors and went over to Macedo Motorsports where my friend worked. He popped them both in and I started it up. It was barely staying alive, spitting, backfiring and misfiring like crazy. No way I could drive it.
My friend gave me his car and sent me up the road to the dealership and I got two new (expensive) AC Delco sensors. Went back, popped those in and BAM....perfection. There is no doubt that Bosch sensors do not work with some PCM's, I've heard of this happening many times.

Same with Bosch spark plugs.....my engine runs like *** with them.

So.....

Old 06-30-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
Check the codes list in the sticky for whatever code you had.......I really can't remember those differnet bank codes.

I will tell you this, not saying your PCM is the same as mine...because all PCM's are NOT and DO NOT act the same. But my PCM will not allow my engine to run with Bosch 02 sensors. I had one 02 sensor failure back in 2006, my first one. It was one of my 1998 originals but it was with my 427ci. I figured I'd just replace them both. (rear 02's are programmed out, LT's). I stopped by Advance Auto and picked up two Bosch sensors and went over to Macedo Motorsports where my friend worked. He popped them both in and I started it up. It was barely staying alive, spitting, backfiring and misfiring like crazy. No way I could drive it.
My friend gave me his car and sent me up the road to the dealership and I got two new (expensive) AC Delco sensors. Went back, popped those in and BAM....perfection. There is no doubt that Bosch sensors do not work with some PCM's, I've heard of this happening many times.

Same with Bosch spark plugs.....my engine runs like *** with them.

So.....

I COMPLETELY agree. IMO, Bosch is garbage no matter what the part and I will never buy any Bosch parts again, but especially their o2's. I have had issues with their spark plugs as well, even the platinums. For some reason, they are just not up to par with Denso or AC Delco.

But first, you need to actually get the car scanned with a live data scanner (Tech 2 or tuning program) and see what the o2's are doing. See if the fronts are switching good. If you see they aren't switching good and then you replace them and they still aren't switching good, then it is likely that you have a PCM problem.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have you covered so far.. Replace the o2s, if that still doesn't work start looking the PCM.
I can't think of any other fueling that would cause these problems.

I would take the MAF back and get your money back, no reason to spend money when the one you have is good.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wanted to take it back, but the one i had got broken pretty bad while trying to remove it from my lid... idiot mistake. but the idle was terrible with the maf connected. when unplugged, the idle was so much healthier right off the bat. We monitored the sorry *** bosch o2 was not showing good voltage on the computer. so we took it out, got my refund, and i am pissed that my car still sucks. now i have to get some ac delco sensors because i knew these sensors weren't right just by the head of the sensor. i cleaned up the wires and tested the lines afterwards to see if any were shorted.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

i wanted to take it back, but the one i had got broken pretty bad while trying to remove it from my lid... idiot mistake. but the idle was terrible with the maf connected. when unplugged, the idle was so much healthier right off the bat. We monitored the sorry *** bosch o2 was not showing good voltage on the computer. so we took it out, got my refund, and i am pissed that my car still sucks. now i have to get some ac delco sensors because i knew these sensors weren't right just by the head of the sensor. i cleaned up the wires and tested the lines afterwards to see if any were shorted.
I don't understand why it would run better without the MAF plugged up when it is a brand new never used MAF. Makes zero sense to me..
Anybody have any clue why it would be acting that way? Only thing I could think of is a tuning issue, but I don't know what the tuner would have done to make an impact like that.
Are you going to get new/good o2s?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Banned

Listen....if you go to the dealership and buy AC Delco sensors....you are going to get an AC Delco box with Denso 02 sensors inside. You'll pay upwards of $180.00 each at the dealership.

Get the identical Denso sensors at www.rockauto.com for like $40.00 each with the long wires.
Amazon.com has them too for about the same $40.00.

Bennett Auto sells them cheap too. They also have AC Delco boxes if you order AC Delco sensors....so if you go to Bennett, tell them you want Denso sensors off the shelf and NOT AC Delcos. They are identical.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heck yeah i'm ordering some now. the older maf would act up. this maf isn't acting up on me as much, but it still wasn't the problem solver. I'm going to get some o2's in the mail asap. im also going to get a rear end put in because my current one is not going to make it from ga to la. i'm wondering if my tuning is not accurate with a potentially flawed maf and my passenger side upstream o2 was never hooked in but never threw a code. wierd tuff man. but even after hooking it up still didn't help the problem. yet, i still am not able to rule out the o2's because i still have the ones from the intial issues. getting the crankshaft sensor switched too. on the computer diagnostic, the tac wasn't reading the sensor, according to the mechanic, so that may mean something.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Banned

heck yeah i'm ordering some now. the older maf would act up. this maf isn't acting up on me as much, but it still wasn't the problem solver. I'm going to get some o2's in the mail asap. im also going to get a rear end put in because my current one is not going to make it from ga to la. i'm wondering if my tuning is not accurate with a potentially flawed maf and my passenger side upstream o2 was never hooked in but never threw a code. wierd tuff man. but even after hooking it up still didn't help the problem. yet, i still am not able to rule out the o2's because i still have the ones from the intial issues. getting the crankshaft sensor switched too. on the computer diagnostic, the tac wasn't reading the sensor, according to the mechanic, so that may mean something.
Remember...the MAF is not being used by the PCM when the car is at operating temp. It only comes into play when you go WOT. So if you are having issues when up to operating temp..its NOT the MAF.

I can unplug my MAF after I'm warmed up and my engine runs 100% identical if I drive around all day with it unplugged.....as long as I don't go WOT.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

o2's should be here friday.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS6427... If a tuning issue.. Wouldn't just swapping to another (stock) computer figure out if that was a problem or not?
It wouldn't idle perfect but his cam isn't THAT big so I'm thinking he would be able to tell if it solved it or not.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked fuel pressure yet at the rail? I know you replaced the pump and filter but just another thing you can mark off.

Maybe go ahead and pull a plug or all the plugs and have a look at them. See if they smell of fuel. Your tuner could have screwed up in HPtuners and accidentally screwed up your fuel trims.

Also when it's completely dark out start her up and look for any arcing from the plug wires or plugs.

Also did you say if you were having the crankshaft position sensor replaced or not?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it making any ticking sounds? Does your check engine light flash when driving? Pull your valve covers. Mine started misfiring and it ended up being a cracked valvespring. Your issue sounds more like a fuel/emmissions/tune type deal though.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hello guys! Well, I got the crankshaft sensor replaced, both front o2's replaced, new torque arm to stop the rattling, another used 10 bolt, still crapping up on me. im going to my tuner in the morning. it's the last thing i can think of before i give up on this car and sale it. i have to leave with or without it. i will i guess change the spark plugs again for the sake of knowing. keep your fingers crossed people. I will monitor the fuel pressure during the testing tomorrow. What is a good rate. During the tune, we kept it as close to 13 as possible.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lemons12
LS6427... If a tuning issue.. Wouldn't just swapping to another (stock) computer figure out if that was a problem or not?
It wouldn't idle perfect but his cam isn't THAT big so I'm thinking he would be able to tell if it solved it or not.
Probably would work just to see if thats the problem............

Old 07-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Banned

hello guys! Well, I got the crankshaft sensor replaced, both front o2's replaced, new torque arm to stop the rattling, another used 10 bolt, still crapping up on me. im going to my tuner in the morning. it's the last thing i can think of before i give up on this car and sale it. i have to leave with or without it. i will i guess change the spark plugs again for the sake of knowing. keep your fingers crossed people. I will monitor the fuel pressure during the testing tomorrow. What is a good rate. During the tune, we kept it as close to 13 as possible.
If that doesn't work.....you need to take the radiator cap off, then drive a new car under it.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol, well i found the issue. it hurts me so much to write this. I finally checked the fuel pressure. i sorta ruled out fueling after replacing the pump & filter and it mixed well on the dyno. but my pressure was sitting at 20 so thats obviously where we went. Theres a Rubber tube that connects the top part of the assembly to the bottom. this tube has little clamps on both ends. Well its supposed to. the whole problem was over that missing clamp that was loosing pressure. so uh... yeah, let me have it

Quick Reply: gonna die at an early age over this car... fml