General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Checking for AC leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Checking for AC leak

Once we got the car running, it needed some freon. Bought 2 cans and filled her up, air was blowing cold and worked fine, by the end of the day and next morning, it was blowing hot air..

While at autozone, the guy mentioned a leak kit, comes with freon that is dyed, uv glasses and a light all for about $30 will this really help find where we have the leak?

Is there another way to find the leak, i dont want to keep putting more freon in just to find a leak..

I dont mind doing one can, but not multiple

Any suggestions on if the kit would work or other methods of finding the leak?
Old 07-17-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's really only two options for finding your leak, you can do like the guy at AZ says which will allow you to find a leak one time. Or, you can go to Harbor Freight and get one of their $70 electronic leak detectors so you can find leaks on your car, your buddies car, your Mom's car etc. And you'll have to put more refrigerant in the system to find the leak no matter which method you choose.

Chances are, you'll find the leak will be at the compressor crankshaft seal. I say that as that seal is on the only moving part in the whole system. And the only cure is a new compressor, because that seal isn't available as a separate part. You still need to check all the joints in the system, as I could be wrong, but that's what usually goes first.

Quick Reply: Checking for AC leak