General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Growl/ clunking noise, I cant find it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Growl/ clunking noise, I cant find it!

Basically started after a race with a Mustang, ( I won) lol...

The car just felt funny afterwords driving home, almost like a bad balljoint in the rear, which obviously cant be the case...

At the same time I started getting this growling noise only on accel. with a decent amount of torque to the wheels IE: first second third gear.

I put the car up on the lift, put it in gear and there is a HARSH clunking noise coming from the driveshaft area, although the car is so loud I can't narrow it down. Only does it when car is in gear, U joints seem to be fine, the T-56 tailshaft bushing has very minimal play but enough to here a small tap when moving it back and forth...

It sort of comes and goes depending on how the engine is idling, (camd so it has a bit of a rough idle) the more the trans shakes around the more I hear it basically. I know it sounds like a trans mount but I literally put a poly. unit in last week... and double checked all the bolts etc. etc.

I pulled the diff cover off, and everything seemed to check out fine, U joints look to be in good shape as well. the only thing I could think of is tailshaft bushing... any ideas?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

I've never heard of a tailshaft bushing causing a growl, but it may clunk if it's bad enough.
You might think about putting a couple quiet mufflers on temporarily (if that's possible) just so you can pin point this, though.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Teching In

I do have a set of chassis ears, which are simply clamps wired into a headset so I can hear where the clunking is coming from. That hasnt helped much either though, I'm starting to fear the worst sounds like its coming from the trans. Trans was rebuild recently and shifts and feels fine.

I cant really feel the growl through the shifter but deffinatly in the trans tunnel
Old 07-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Teching In

I had one of the more experienced Techs at work take a look at it today, while it was on the lift in gear. it only makes the noise when the car is in gear. Basically he was convinced that the clunk was coming from the trans... It is an intermittent clunk and he said 2 cracked gears yada yada yada. my only problem with that is, when the car is started with the clutch in and even in neutral, I can hear the clunk right there in my trans tunnel, I can even feel it!

So how is a waxed transmission going to cause a clunk if nothing inside it is spinning...