General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car stutters on start up, runs fine, recent repairs

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car stutters on start up, runs fine, recent repairs

I have a bit of a problem with my car starting.

It's a 1994 ford probe V6. Anyway, I recently had the thermostat replaced and the rocker cover gaskets (or valve gasket covers if your in USA) replaced. Required taking off the intake manifold and was a bit of a job. But had an overheating problem that was solved with new thermostat.

Anyway, also had a few other general replacements - belts, filters, spark plugs, and other things - and it's been running like a dream. But about 2 days after the thermostat & gasket job, it's started having trouble starting. It stutters a lot without 'ticking over' and starting. About 50% of the time it ticks over. Other 50%, I just turn the key back, then forward to start again and it starts pretty quickly. This problem is happening about 70% of the time I start up. Otherwise it starts normally.

Once started it idles perfectly and drives perfectly. That would indicate to me that it's something to do with ignition problem.

No excessive smoke or funny smells.

What do you think I might be dealing with here?

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Launching!

When you say ticking does the engine turn over or does it just tick?
Old 08-09-2010, 05:37 AM

about 50% of the time it starts after after ticking for a little while. The other 50% of the time, I have to stop as it isn't turning over. But on the second attempt, it starts pretty quickly.

Quick Reply: car stutters on start up, runs fine, recent repairs