General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Problem starting my 2002 SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem starting my 2002 SS

Periodically my SS won't start. The battery is new and I have tried both sets of keys. I don't get it. Sometimes I will wait a couple of hours and try again, and it will start right up. Any suggestions?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you mean like it just wont turn over at all?

my car had the same problem for awhile, it was the neutral saftey switch. when i went to turn the key there was nothing there. and the security light was on. How i fixed the problem was. i put the car in neutral. turned the key then stepped on the clutch pedal. or sometimes just stepped on the clutch pedal half way. it worked every time!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Teching In

I have an automatic, but I tried starting it in neutral and it didn't work. It's frustrating. Any other suggestions.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

make sure your battery cables are tight. I had the exact same problem. Sometime it would start right up and other times like at the gas station It would do nothing and I had to push it into a parking spot. One day I was running a little late for work and it wouldnt start so I got pissed and slammed the door...started right up. So then when it wouldnt start I just slammed the door like a ra-tard for 3 or 4 minutes until it started. With a meter I found I had no power at the post on the driver side near the fuses. I then found the battery ground 1/4 loose and have never had a problem again ^^

It was just loose enough that slamming the door caused the cable to touch just enough to allow enough current to the starter.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Ok, thanks. I will check it out and see if that's the issue.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Try swaping a fan relay into the ign relay spot (they'e the same relay). Very common problem!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Just fixed my 2001 WS6 Auto convertible. Had nothing when turned key. Started inter. then perm. Replaced the starter and recharged the battery. Started like a champ. Then after driven short distance, the car wouldn't start back up, it would crank really slow and then click...very low battery. Found fresh battery acid at terminals. Replaced the battery, now really fixed. The starter and/or solenoid shorted out and took the battery with it.
Drove great for a day, now cranks like a champ and will not fire. Has good fuel press at rails. Think is either crank sensor, or hopefully not ignition module. Hooked up analyzer and no problems displayed while cranking. Will try the relay swap trick. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Tried the relay swap...no good.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Teching In

might be the VATS system. The chip in your key creates a circuit in the ignition tumbler. The wires are very thin and wear out over time. Do a search on VATS disable. If this is the problem, the car won't start for 15 minutes or so and the security light will be on if i remember correctly. To disable you basically inline a resistor the same resistance as the chip in your key underneath the steering column.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Does the car still turn over if the VAT system messes up. Mine turns over great.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Teching In

No sorry. If its the vats system the car won't even turn over
Old 08-20-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blkstkss
No sorry. If its the vats system the car won't even turn over
I know this is a few days old, but mine cranks just fine when vats activates, it just wont fire.