General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

is it time to change my "new" clutch

Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it time to change my "new" clutch

I have a 1998 camaro with an m6. Today I noticed at the top of the clutch it is a little slack. It is still pulling good and it lets out at the same place. Also I popped the cap on the slave cylinder reservoir and the fluid is green and there was some green gunk in it that I fished out. The clutch is nearly brand new 12k on it. I know the fluid needs to be replaced but the pedal being kinda loose at the top is worrying me. I may have just starting noticing it and just being paranoid but I dunno. Like I said it pulls the same and it lets out at the same place but if u tap on the pedal it seems like it is spongier than usual. I just dunno I am completely stumped. Someone please help me kinda worried.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

i don't think this has anything to do with the clutch

you probably have a little bit of air in the master cylinder line.. grab a mityvac from your local parts store and put the line under vacuum to remove any air bubbles.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Bit of a dumb moment but where do I hook up the mityvac I know u said master cylinder but where exactly on what line. What the one that goes to my slave cylinder reservoir. What about the gunk. It was like sludge.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Since you'll be removing the air from the lines anyway you can remove the master cylinder reservoir from the master cylinder line to clean it out. Once it's clean and dry attach it back onto the line and fill it with brake fluid. Then run a hose from the mityvac down the reservoir and create an air tight seal with the line. Put about 12hg of vacuum on the line and watch the air bubbles come up through the mityvac line... Once you don't see anymore bubbles you can release the vacuum. That's it! Remember to return the mityvac to get your deposit back!

Here's a pic of the master cylinder and its reservoir (circled).

Search this Thread