General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to remove the top bolt from AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to remove the top bolt from AC compressor

I decided to change the compressor out myself, well going to attempt the rebuild kit for it first.. (99 TA)

Removed the bottom 2 bolts, the line from the back of the compressor and now i cant seem to get to the top bolt.. is there a trick to removing this bolt? is there other items i need to remove in order to get this out?

I went and bought a 18" breaker bar and im able to get the socket on the bolt, but still no room to move the wrench..

Thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

there's 4 bolts that hold the AC compressor to the bracket. The one bolt on top thats under the two hoses is the one I believe you're talking about. To get that one off I used a short 2" extension for my 1/2" drive and put it on the bolt the only way it would fit and have any room to turn.

If you're having trouble breaking the bolt loose I'd spray some PB Blaster penetrating oil on it. lay a pry bar on the ratchet and give it a few taps with a hammer.

There's 3-4 bolts that attach the bracket to the motor block. you shouldn't need to remove them. and the 2 on the bottom you can only remove after the compressor is off.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

I replaced my ac compressor last week so I'm assuming your talking about the bolt under the hoses. You have to remove the hoses if you havent already. It takes some time to get it off because of the little space you have. I didnt use any extensions.

Good luck
Old 08-26-2010, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
I replaced my ac compressor last week so I'm assuming your talking about the bolt under the hoses.
I forget, but I believe those hoses are for the water pump?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

the one bolt i can see from the top is right below the A/C Accumulator and another ac hose. I was able to get the breaker bar with socket on the bolt, but there is no room to turn the bolt. So since the ac system is empty, no freon or pressure, would it be wise to remove the A/C Accumulator to get a better angle on it? or would that just open me up to more things that could go wrong when putting it all back together? And if i remove anything else, where can i find torque specs (if needed) for any of the bolts going back on.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zachrywd_01TA
I forget, but I believe those hoses are for the water pump?
Yes, they are from the water pump.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CubanGT
the one bolt i can see from the top is right below the A/C Accumulator and another ac hose. I was able to get the breaker bar with socket on the bolt, but there is no room to turn the bolt. So since the ac system is empty, no freon or pressure, would it be wise to remove the A/C Accumulator to get a better angle on it? or would that just open me up to more things that could go wrong when putting it all back together? And if i remove anything else, where can i find torque specs (if needed) for any of the bolts going back on.
Remove the two water pump hoses next to the bolt you're talking about and you'll see the other bolt.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:31 AM
TECH Regular

Removing the hoses will give me the access i need to both bolts at the top? If so i know what ill be doing monday.. need to get the car running asap..thanks
Old 09-05-2010, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by CubanGT
Remove the accumulator. You will have to replace it regardless since the system will be open to the atmosphere while you are getting your compressor rebuilt.

Quick Reply: How to remove the top bolt from AC compressor