General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

weird thumping noise. This is a good one...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question weird thumping noise. This is a good one...

OK, for a while now, I've been getting a thumping noise at idle, and when the car is warmed up. It is going with engine rpm. you can feel it in the brake pedal & flool a little. sometimes,you have to listen for it, and somtimes its a little louder. When im in traffic with my foot on the brake, I hear it. When i take my foot off the brake and let it idle, it goes away a little.

I was thinking a pulley, or the water pump, or maybe the torque converter? IDK...
Old 10-08-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is also a squeaking noise. i just replaced ther tensioner pulley. My next step is to take the AC belt off & run it and see if it goes away. If not, im thinking water pump...
Old 10-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember, you have 4 belt pulleys. The main belt has an idler and a tensioner as does the ac belt. Also, the tensioner itself could be going bad and getting weak. Watch it and have someone rev the engine a few times. See if it bounces a lot. Excessive bouncing movement means the tensioner itself needs replacing. The AC tensioner is a bit harder to see, but shine a light down there and and watch it also. I replaced an old tensioner a while back and that thing was bouncing all over the place like it was in a bouncy castle or something. New one is just fine.

The main belt idler is off to the side of the PS and alternator pulley, and the AC idler is above the AC tensioner.

Oh, and by 4 belt pulleys, I was obviously ignoring the alternator, PS, water pump, crank and AC. lol

Quick Reply: weird thumping noise. This is a good one...