General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Free Play In Steering Wheel?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Free Play In Steering Wheel?

So my car's steering seems to have about an inch (1/2 in left and 1/2 right) of free play in it. It doesn't matter if the car is on or off. When I'm driving on the highway, it seems to list to the left or right until I compensate and turn the wheel slightly the opposite direction.

I've checked both of the knuckle joints from the PS pump to the rack, and they are tight. I brought the car in to be aligned (thinking that was the issue) and they said everything looked tight and there was nothing wrong.

But I know the car, and how when the wheel used to be dead center, the car would track straight. Now, it's almost like a FWD car, where on-center is almost non-existent.

It's driving me crazy because it makes me look like a horrible driver having to constantly be moving left or right in a lane on the highway.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated beyond words.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a 95 Formula with the same issue. Alignment shop told me everything looked great. Got a second opinion from a master mechanic and told me that it can only be wear & tear in the steering rack itself, which was weird cause the car only had 80K miles at the time.

So if your steering rack has pretty high miles, it might be just starting to wear out.

Then again, a long time ago when I was researching the issue myself, I remember reading something about a faulty "rag" joint in the steering linkage that is prone to cause play in the steering.

Sorry, not much help I know, but thought I would chime in with what I know.

EDIT: Thought of another thing. There are 3 screws deep in the steering column that can work themselves a little loose over time and cause the play. I had my mechanic tighten them, but in my case it didn't help much.

Last edited by Formula Freak; 09-07-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Regular

LS1 vehicles don't have a ragjoint, thankfully.

...I find that my 275's tend to track more than my 245's, although they are both nitto555s.

...how many miles on the vehicle?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Formula Freak
I used to have a 95 Formula with the same issue. Alignment shop told me everything looked great. Got a second opinion from a master mechanic and told me that it can only be wear & tear in the steering rack itself, which was weird cause the car only had 80K miles at the time.

So if your steering rack has pretty high miles, it might be just starting to wear out.

Then again, a long time ago when I was researching the issue myself, I remember reading something about a faulty "rag" joint in the steering linkage that is prone to cause play in the steering.

Sorry, not much help I know, but thought I would chime in with what I know.

EDIT: Thought of another thing. There are 3 screws deep in the steering column that can work themselves a little loose over time and cause the play. I had my mechanic tighten them, but in my case it didn't help much.
Where are the three screws you are speaking of? How do I access them?

Thing is the steering rack was replaced at about 90k. The car now has 140k on it.

Originally Posted by Tobias05
LS1 vehicles don't have a ragjoint, thankfully.

...I find that my 275's tend to track more than my 245's, although they are both nitto555s.

...how many miles on the vehicle?

See above for miles. Yeah I know the tires are huge, but I have learned the difference b/t tracking on a crowned road and this crap. It's not the tracking I mind, b/c before I would hold the wheel dead center and the car would stay dead center. Now I hold it dead center and it's almost like there ISN'T a dead center, there's only SLIGHTLY left or SLIGHTLY right ... Does that make sense?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You sure it doesnt have a rubber donut gasket in the steering linkage? Or is that only on V6s?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Launching!

I'm having the same issue with my 1995 Z28. It has 172,500 miles on it. I'm guessing it might be the steering rack. Mine has 3 year old tierod ends(not ripped and in good shape) and just got an alignment about 3 months ago. It will still seem like I have to hold the wheel a little to the left or right of center to make it go straight. The steering wheel will also move a little when the key is not in it, until it locks. Even when the key is in it the wheel will move about an 1/8 of a turn before it actually moves the wheels & tires. I have a 285/35/18 up front.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1SWT95Z
I'm having the same issue with my 1995 Z28. It has 172,500 miles on it. I'm guessing it might be the steering rack. Mine has 3 year old tierod ends(not ripped and in good shape) and just got an alignment about 3 months ago. It will still seem like I have to hold the wheel a little to the left or right of center to make it go straight. The steering wheel will also move a little when the key is not in it, until it locks. Even when the key is in it the wheel will move about an 1/8 of a turn before it actually moves the wheels & tires. I have a 285/35/18 up front.
sounds like the wheels weren't aligned to the steering wheel, although the car itself is aligned.

my parent's 99 Laredo was like that, Jeep tracked straight, but you had to hold the wheel at 10 o'clock.

1/8 inch play is pretty respectable for 172k IMHO.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Xtreme57
...Thing is the steering rack was replaced at about 90k. The car now has 140k on it...

...Now I hold it dead center and it's almost like there ISN'T a dead center, there's only SLIGHTLY left or SLIGHTLY right ... Does that make sense?
Who (re)made the rack?

140k, everything else stock?

...I hate to keep referring to my '87, but i bought it with 180k on the clock and since then I've replaced almost EVERYTHING with new/aftermarket. SFCs/LCAs, Tie Rods/Idler/Center Link, ragjoint, swaybars, shocks, springs, strut mounts, blah blah blah...

It really seems, in my experience that every piece tightened things up just a little bit more than the previous configuration.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

I had the same issue. I thought everything was tight after I put the arm back on.
I cranked them down even tighter and problem solved.
0 play now. The car has 170,000 miles.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Launching!

I have the same problem and it gets kinda sketchy at 120 plus... In mexico of course... But at that point its time to shut down because it gets so shaky, i have replaced my control arms and tie rod ends as well as ball joints and tightened the knuckle. Any ideas? or is it basically down to the rack?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Teching In

i had the same problem on my 96 ta found that the rag joint was bad so i went the the shop and made a rag eliminater and there is no play what so ever know
Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Explain "ragjoint"
Old 09-08-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at your steering linkage that connects from the firewall to the rack. In the middle there is a round rubber thing and i is known to break down from the heat from headers/ manifolds. Either get a new one at the parts store or replace it with this http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/Rag_Joint/.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

The ragjoint is an LT1 only thing, I got the ragjoint eliminator on my old 97 and it worked wonders.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Who (re)made the rack?

140k, everything else stock?

...I hate to keep referring to my '87, but i bought it with 180k on the clock and since then I've replaced almost EVERYTHING with new/aftermarket. SFCs/LCAs, Tie Rods/Idler/Center Link, ragjoint, swaybars, shocks, springs, strut mounts, blah blah blah...

It really seems, in my experience that every piece tightened things up just a little bit more than the previous configuration.
It was actually replaced by GM believe it or not. All else is stock on front end suspension except for strano/koni setup.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
I had the same issue. I thought everything was tight after I put the arm back on.
I cranked them down even tighter and problem solved.
0 play now. The car has 170,000 miles.
I had the same problem when i first got my z28. When the PO installed the headers they didn't torque the lower steering shaft bolt well enough.

I had to crawl under the car and torque the snot out of that bolt, but it fixed the problem...
Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you said everything has been checked and or replaced the only other item(s) i can think of is possibly seperated tire(s) have you rotated them lately or had them inspected?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Launching!

sounds like the wheels weren't aligned to the steering wheel, although the car itself is aligned.

my parent's 99 Laredo was like that, Jeep tracked straight, but you had to hold the wheel at 10 o'clock.

1/8 inch play is pretty respectable for 172k IMHO.
How do you align the wheels with the steering wheel.
I meant 1/8 of a complete revolution of the steering wheel not an 1/8inch.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Okay just so we're clear, no ragjoint on Ls1's? It could be the tires. They still have a lot of meat on them, but I guess it's possible. But would that cause the steering wheel to have free play in it?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:58 PM

Default Steering wheel

I think we are having the same problems. My steering wheel kind of wiggles/ moves down and to the left. I was told its the tilt knukle? idk?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Free Play In Steering Wheel?