General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No torque, misfires, exhaust popping....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default No torque, misfires, exhaust popping....

Thought I got bad gas but I have run out all the fuel and refilled with sunoco 94 and after 15-20 miles still running like ****.

starts and idles fine, timing is normal, maf is normal, map is normal, but under load it jerks and stumbles and occasionally pops on the driver side exhaust (duals) near the cutout plate.

the exhaust note has changed, and from a dead stop it won't even spin street tires with a 3600 stall

happened a couple miles after putting in some fuel, romped on it once but got no strange noises
Old 09-20-2010, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Well turns out it was a coincidence I had just gotten fuel...grabbed a spray bottle of water and hit each headers tube real quick, #4 was weak so I pulled the plug wire and slid the kevlar heat boot off to find the plug wire burned under the discolored spot on the heat boot.

Grabbed a spare plug wire from the trunk and stuck it on, turning the kevlar boot around so a new spot was touching the header and went for a spin. All is well again.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow this exact same thing is happening to me except mines a 6speed...runs fine until its under a load, almost made me think it was something in the bell housing...definetley will be checkin out my plugs
Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some times those boots don't help forever. They seem to work great in most cases but when your wire sits on the header it takes special measures to keep them from burning up. I had a bad problem with that on an old LT1 car of mine. What I did was wrap it will reflective tape, put the boot over it and then I found this flexable piece of metal that I wrapped around the boot. It wasn't a solid piece of metal but more like a diamond shaped design. It wrapped around the wire perfect and was about the same length as the boot. Never had and issue after that.

Quick Reply: No torque, misfires, exhaust popping....