General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Guru's have a question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A/C Guru's have a question?

Guys,

I recently redid the entire A/C on my wife's suburban due to a compressor going bad, got lucky as I caught it before it dumped crap in the lines. Replaced compressor, dryer/accumulator, orifice tube, seals, flushed all lines and had a shop pull a vac and add the appropriate amount of R134a. I was supprised at how easy it was and now I want to turn my attention to my T/A. The A/C works fine and blows fairly cold but not really cold and like any typical older car the freon charge slowly leaks over a period of a year or so. I'd like to do some maintenance on her as I have read it's best to replace the dryer on most cars after about 4 years and since this car is 15 years old now would it be worth it? I was thinking of running some dye in it to see where I might have leaks and then replacing the dryer, seals and possibly the expansion valve (no orifice tube this year) to update the system. Also, can you drain the compressor oil to add fresh oil to the system? Then have a shop pull a vac and recharge the system. Is this a good idea or am I asking for more trouble? I'd like her to blow ice cold again, but not sure if I should even mess with it? Let me know what you think.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you stuck a thermometer in the vent and checked it? On a hot day at Idle you should see 50 degrees F. moving down the road 45 degrees F. If you're getting that I wouldn't worry about it.

One leak issue is some of the seals used to connect the lines. they're a rubber coated metal washer that degrade over time.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zachrywd_01TA
Have you stuck a thermometer in the vent and checked it? On a hot day at Idle you should see 50 degrees F. moving down the road 45 degrees F. If you're getting that I wouldn't worry about it.

One leak issue is some of the seals used to connect the lines. they're a rubber coated metal washer that degrade over time.
Thanks man, I havn't actually measured the temp yet, just know by feel that it's not cooling as well. I do know it's leaking slightly as I've had to top it off with freon. I'll probably still run some dye thru it to see where it might be leaking so I can replace the seals if needed. If I have to crack the system open, I'll go ahead and replace the dryer/accum, Exp Valve and seals, before I have a vac pulled and have it recharged.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pfffffft, what do you need an A/C guru for? you know your ****! Putting dye in the system will definitely show if there's a leak and where.

Some days I think my A/C isn't performing the way it should too, but thats usually do to what the weather is like outside affecting it. My thermometer always proves my suspicions wrong.

I'd agree with your plan of attack, except replacing the dryer/accum... but thats just because I'm lazy and cheap. Also, just because you keep "topping off" the refrigerant doesn't necessarily mean it's leaking. My A/C guy told me to much refrigerant in the system will make it under-perform... not to mention over-pressurizing it can damage it too.

And don't forget, you cant go by how much pressure a system is showing to determine if it has enough refrigerant. The only real way to tell is to have it collected and metered back in.

best of luck with it, cheers.