General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

00' WS6 6spd, idle drops to below 400rpm's when in neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00' WS6 6spd, idle drops to below 400rpm's when in neutral?

i have a 2000 ws6 6 speed. about every fifth time or so when i start it, it will drop the rpms down to 300-500, low enough my headlights dim as the car is about to die. if i drive it like this it drives perfectly fine once i get the rpms above 800 or so and above 800 the headlights pick back up to full brightness. if i push in the clutch to switch gears and hold the clutch in for 5-10 seconds it will also drop down to 400 rpms, as well as coming to a complete stop with neutral. it only does this about 1 out of every 4 or 5 times i start it. i can fix it anytime i want by shutting my car back off, then starting it right back up. since that fixes it and it only does this once out of 4 or 5 starts it makes me think it must be some sort of sensor going bad which is giving my computer bad information. can anyone on here point me in the right direction as to where to start? i really appreciate your time. thanks! -wade
Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Teching In

ever get a solution? i have been having the same problem for the last few months and just in the last couple of days it has started to show me the security light and will not turn over. so i wait a few minutes and then it will start...sometimes. 02 ws6 6spd.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eb2phkingood
i have a 2000 ws6 6 speed. about every fifth time or so when i start it, it will drop the rpms down to 300-500, low enough my headlights dim as the car is about to die. if i drive it like this it drives perfectly fine once i get the rpms above 800 or so and above 800 the headlights pick back up to full brightness. if i push in the clutch to switch gears and hold the clutch in for 5-10 seconds it will also drop down to 400 rpms, as well as coming to a complete stop with neutral. it only does this about 1 out of every 4 or 5 times i start it. i can fix it anytime i want by shutting my car back off, then starting it right back up. since that fixes it and it only does this once out of 4 or 5 starts it makes me think it must be some sort of sensor going bad which is giving my computer bad information. can anyone on here point me in the right direction as to where to start? i really appreciate your time. thanks! -wade
I had that exact same problem a few monthes ago with with 5.3 l motor in my pickup. I finally found out it was caused by carbon build up behind the blade in the throttle body. Take a clean rag put a little carb cleaner on it. Open the throttle blade reach in a wipe in down as best you can. Made a instant improvement. Amazing how fuel mileage was suffering too I just didn't notice until I cleaned it out. Hope this helps you. Mark
Old 10-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eb2phkingood
i had the same problem i didnt know what caused it so i seafoam (ed) the car and it went away no it only does it every 1 and 20 starts... if that helps and i have a 00 ss 6spd with 99k
i also replaced the cats and the air check pressure valve under warntee

Quick Reply: 00' WS6 6spd, idle drops to below 400rpm's when in neutral?