General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010 | 01:23 PM
Launching!

Default Power steering leak

So my car, 2002 Camaro, is leaking a small amount of power steering fluid. I had a buddy of mine who is a mechanic look it over and he said it was just a line leaking. I haven't gotten a chance to get a real good look at it but when I popped the hood it looked like the top line going into the power steering reservoir was leaking down onto the second one.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so is it just a line that needs to be replaced?

Also what kind of power steering fluid do these cars take? Is it just regular ATF or is there a special fluid?
Old 10-05-2010 | 02:50 PM
Launching!

I checked out the fluids and it looks like it's cool to use any power steering fluid. Is this correct? Anyone have a specific choice for performance / protection reasons? I do have heavier wheels and tires so I know that puts strain on the system. This car is also my dd and sees some pretty rough roads around here so I'd like to have the PS working right.

Also I've seen power steering fluid with stop leak. Is this wise to use and if so would there be any negative effects of using it / using it for an extended period of time?

Last edited by mrx8200; 10-05-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-07-2010 | 04:48 PM
Launching!

Anyone got any ideas on this?
Old 10-07-2010 | 06:20 PM
Banned

Yes....mine just started leaking after 12+ years........same line you're talking about. It connects to the top, forward, right side of the reservoir with a metal line and metal nut. Then there's a rubber middle section of that line, then a metal section again that attaches to the rack.

I think I paid about $30 at Advance Auto fo the line.............took me about 15 minutes to replace it....very easy.

-I disconnected to the bottom line from the rack and let the fluid leak out into a pan. The reservoir drained completely. Then I disconnected the top line from the reservoir.
-I then loosened my serpentine belt for some wiggle room when I got the line disconnected.
-Then I pulled the line up through the top and around the alternator. (you'll just wiggle it out any way it comes, it comes free pretty easily.)
-Snake the new line into place..........and tighten both ends down.
-Then re-fill the reservoir....start the engine.....run back over right away and fill it up to the proper level. Go back and turn the wheels side to side, then check the level again.
-DONE.

Regular ole' power steering fluid is all our cars use.

Old 10-07-2010 | 06:24 PM
Banned

If you have a factory power steering cooler thats in the upper radiator hose....I suggest getting rid of it....they are terrible.

Either way though.....If you do or don't have it....I suggest putting on an aftermarket cooler. $40 in parts and literally 15 minutes of your time to install it. Phillips screwdriver, razor knife, 3 feet of 3/8" heater hose, 2 band clamps.

Check my pics. It keeps my power steering fluid just warm to the touch.

Attached Thumbnails Power steering leak-dsc01787.jpg   Power steering leak-dsc01789.jpg  
Old 10-08-2010 | 04:22 AM
Launching!

Nice! Thank you so much for the information. Where did you get the aftermarket cooler? It looks nice. Sounds like a good idea for me too since I'm putting more strain on my system.
Old 10-08-2010 | 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrx8200
Nice! Thank you so much for the information. Where did you get the aftermarket cooler? It looks nice. Sounds like a good idea for me too since I'm putting more strain on my system.
Sure.......I got mine at Advance Auto. Its a 4 vane cooler, it fits perfect where I have it. I think it was $24.00. Then I had to buy the full length upper radiator hose to replace where the factory PS fluid cooler/rubber hose was. The 3 feet of 3/8" heater hose and two clamps.

Quick Reply: Power steering leak