General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

High beams will not come on

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High beams will not come on

The other night my high beam headlights did not come on when I pulled the lever. The lever clicks like normal but the blue high beam indicator does not come on. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. I have HID lights so I swapped to a different ballast and nothing came on. I used the low beam ballast and power feed from the low beams on one high beam light assembly and it worked so it is not the headlight bulbs themselves.

I only get about 3 volts from the headlight wires (what would normally go into the headlights but goes into the HID ballast on my set up) and this reads 12 volts when I check the low beams.

Anyone had a similar problem with the high beams just not coming on? Any ideas? Could it be in the turn signal stalk or in the steering column?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone every had this happen before, where both high beams will just not come on?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt..
Old 10-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Its probably the activation rod. It runs down the lower side of the steering column and activates the switch at the base of the column. If the rod slips out of the pocket that it is supposed to sit in, or wears out the pocket, the high beams will not turn on. It's awkward to get to, but there was a picture/writeup I saw somewhere on the forums. Try digging around for that.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnpate01
Its probably the activation rod. It runs down the lower side of the steering column and activates the switch at the base of the column. If the rod slips out of the pocket that it is supposed to sit in, or wears out the pocket, the high beams will not turn on. It's awkward to get to, but there was a picture/writeup I saw somewhere on the forums. Try digging around for that.
Thanks for the tip! I was tracing the activation rod down the column and in doing so I found that the connector at the switch was loose....easy fix!

Quick Reply: High beams will not come on