See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to quiet interior plastic rattles and vibes

Old 10-17-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Default How to quiet interior plastic rattles and vibes

The interior in my car is really starting to get noisy. Over time the plastic has worn down to the point where it doesn't hold as tight and is starting to rattle and vibrate. I don't want to replace all the plastic in my interior for a while and was wondering if there's anything on the market or if anyone has come up with any solutions to making all those noises go away.

So far I went to the hardware store and bought some industrial velcro to try and stop the vibrations but the adhesive wouldn't stick to the plastic. I also bought some firm and soft foam weather stripping so at least when it vibrates it will be quiet. The firm stuff didn't really work because I couldn't get the panels down all the way so they wouldn't line up. Still haven't tried the softer stuff yet but if that doesn't work I'm out of ideas.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try black RTV silicone, I've used it in plastic dashes that had rattles etc
Old 10-17-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know there's a type of felt out there for that sort of thing, but I'm not sure the specific name it goes by. McMaster has a couple different types that would probably work.

If you can't get the adhesive backing to stick, you could try spray craft adhesive.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
The interior in my car is really starting to get noisy. Over time the plastic has worn down to the point where it doesn't hold as tight and is starting to rattle and vibrate. I don't want to replace all the plastic in my interior for a while and was wondering if there's anything on the market or if anyone has come up with any solutions to making all those noises go away.

So far I went to the hardware store and bought some industrial velcro to try and stop the vibrations but the adhesive wouldn't stick to the plastic. I also bought some firm and soft foam weather stripping so at least when it vibrates it will be quiet. The firm stuff didn't really work because I couldn't get the panels down all the way so they wouldn't line up. Still haven't tried the softer stuff yet but if that doesn't work I'm out of ideas.
Are you getting these rattles from the car shaking at idle or is it from driving or is it from hitting bumps?
If its from bumps in the road make sure of a couple of simple things. Tire pressure is good (start at 30psi and adjust from there) and your shock settings are not too high, or not too low. Your rear konis should be set near full soft and your fronts should be set in the middle for closer to full hard.
Do you have any poly bushings in your suspension? Those also can hurt ride quality and send vibrations into the chassis. Its best to stick to OEM rubber or 1LE rubber bushings (if available) otherwise poly can bind, like with LCAs.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I ordered a new kick panel that goes under the steering column and it has some felt on it. Is this what you were talking about? I did a search for McMaster but couldn't find anything, could you be more specific?

Name:  SSPX0013-2.jpg
Views: 2799
Size:  46.3 KB

The rattles come from rough road surfaces with old asphalt. Smooth roads, larger bumps and idling aren't enough to cause interior noise. The bushings are all stock if I remember right, it's been a while since I've messed with the suspension.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's interesting.

I know GM cars like to start to rattle. I would like to know some solutions for this too.

Interested.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Something like 8334K15 from McMaster could possibly work.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed. I'm having the same problem. Console, ashtray and passenger side kick panel rattle while the engine is running.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking about getting a hot glue gun and some thin felt strips and putting them on the contact points of the interior
panels. A lot of more luxury brands do things like that to quiet the interior down.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My biggest squeak, shriek, rattle is the plastic thats attached to the hatch. I can't figure out why it does it, other than its just getting old and its a GM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
My biggest squeak, shriek, rattle is the plastic thats attached to the hatch. I can't figure out why it does it, other than its just getting old and its a GM.
had the same problem. check your spare tire. That crap will wiggle lose & start making all sorts of terrible squeaking noises. Tighten the nut on it (the spare tire) down more or just remove all that stuff back there (tire, hold down, jack) & see if it still does it.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carguyshu
had the same problem. check your spare tire. That crap will wiggle lose & start making all sorts of terrible squeaking noises. Tighten the nut on it (the spare tire) down more or just remove all that stuff back there (tire, hold down, jack) & see if it still does it.
I took the spare out. Its the plastic on the hatch itself, the deck lid that raises up. It started doing it when the weather got colder.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

More people are starting to mention this felt using method, how does this work?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Felt I guess wouldn't be too bad. You can also buy a roll of velcro and use just the strip of the soft side to put in between panels. Or you can also get a roll of neoprene and glue it where panels come into contact with each other. Neoprene has the advantage of not absorbing water and being fire resistant.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Resident

I had one that drove me crazy for years... turns out I had a penny in the bottom of the spare tire well.....
Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Haven't had any vibrations/rattles yet with my formula yet(haven't had it very long either). But with previous cars the i've owned, household weather stripping has worked fine for noisy panels for me. Or any cushion i can come up with to make panel fitment tighter for that matter, that can absorb vibration.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
I had one that drove me crazy for years... turns out I had a penny in the bottom of the spare tire well.....
I feel bad for laughing at your situation but that's the funniest one I've heard so far.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
I feel bad for laughing at your situation but that's the funniest one I've heard so far.
+1
Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

GM's have very cheap plastic interiors. As they get older they start to squeek and rattle, There really isnt a permanent cure for this, unless you replace every single interior piece in your car or suspension. Good luck though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to quiet interior plastic rattles and vibes