General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering fluid leak

So I've done the due diligence and searched and read several other power steering threads here...none that seem to have my issue. It started as a small leak that graduated to a large spot on the ground. It seems to really gush AFTER the engine is turned off. I had my g/f take it to an auto shop to replace the power steering pump due to time constraints and a bit of distance. A week later and $800 down the drain, it was still leaking.

I replaced the supply side hose...still large leaks after turning the engine off. I did a little research and thought that maybe the rack and pinion was stuck/clogged, so bought a remanufactured unit (after returning the first one that was the wrong mounting hole), and just finished the install...and wouldn't you know it, after completely bleeding and flushing the system, purging with the engine off, and finally tunring the engine on and running the pump...still large puddle.

So I beg and plead for some advice here, because my next step (as it was the only time the car was out of my hands and i can't verify that the pump was actually changed) is to replace the pump, but this time with an aftermarket unit (of which i'll take opinions/reviews on as well). Any thoughts on ways forward or potential paths for leaks? Heat is negligible as this last time the engine only ran for a 2 minutes, and the car was not driven, only turned the wheel-less brakes while on jack stands. Can any of the parts stores pressure test the PS pump?
Old 10-17-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't simply replace the pump. You have a leak, you need to find out where. Replacing the pump won't fix the leak if it's not coming from the pump.

the fluid resevoir sits on top of the pump as a separate unit, and has a return hose coming in to it. That could be a possible source of the leak, if they replaced just the pump but swapped the old resevoir onto it, could explain it.
And if you have a power steering cooler, which is a simple tube heat exchanger, that could be leaking at the fitting. The cooler is inserted in the upper radiator hose which goes from the thermostat to the top of the radiator. In fact just follow the hoses from the power steering pump to the rack and back to the pump, it's pretty easy. I would think it would be pretty easy to find the leak, the power steering system is not elaborate, but you will have to search for the leak.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Sorry, should have specified that I am working on a 97 Firebird Formula (pre '98 the fluid reservoir is not attached to the pump nor is there a cooler to cross flow with coolant, at least stock). I have traced the lines, but with the clutter and serpentine belt in place to run the engine, there's no good view of the lines to see where it's leaking from. I can see the reservoir and checked it for leaks as the fluid was dripping and there were none. The only explanation I can see right now is that there is a blockage causing the supplied pressurized fluid to back flow through the pump onto the engine and belt. The return line is the next item to be replaced, but while flushing, fluid ran through it and flowed clear. Tonight after work will be the return line's time for replacement...after that I'm at a loss except for a more stout pressure holding pump or modify the relief spring.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Well kids and schedule being what they typically are, no work was performed. Hopefully tonight I can get a better idea and work towards a solution.

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid leak